Is it safe to let my bluey outside?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
McBoredFace
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Is it safe to let my bluey outside?

Postby McBoredFace » Thu May 20, 2021 1:30 pm

So it’s getting hot out and I’d love to take my skink outside. I’ve done it before in low grass and rocky areas but my new yard has slightly higher grass and more bugs and ants. I’m worried about him licking something while he walks around and possibly getting a parasite. I always watch him like a hawk. He gets so mad when I have to pick him up and move him or redirect him so he doesn’t get in somewhere he shouldn’t lol but other than that he loves the sun and will relax and bask and explore through the grass. But yeah I’m worried about parasites. On another note, when I took him out he just pooped and it was very mushy and not dark and solid like usual. It looks like his mushy wet grain free dog food he always eats. He’s never had a problem before but since he’s my first bluey every little new thing I notice I get very worried. Any advice on that too?
McBoredFace
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: Is it safe to let my bluey outside?

Postby McBoredFace » Wed May 26, 2021 9:53 am

(( bump ))

I hope this site isn’t dying :( usually my questions always get answered right away. I love this site. You guys have all helped me soooo much with my first bluey and it’s helped calm my anxiety so much. This site better not die! Lol
rixusaku
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby rixusaku » Wed May 26, 2021 5:09 pm

I wouldn't know how to answer that. I would think as long as the yard hasn't been sprayed with anything you're fine??? But I don't know.
| Noodle | Male | 3 years | Northern |
| My Care Experience: Since January 2021 |
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN
Your Facebook name: Janella Poch

Postby Janella » Wed May 26, 2021 5:55 pm

Hello and sorry for the longer response times. Remember sometimes we all get busy with life and things and it can take just a bit longer. So I also like to bring my skinks outside for some fresh air and sunshine. However, word of advice is make sure you watch your skink like a hawk. No quick trips inside for a drink or bathroom breaks, so talking on the phone and being distracted. These guys are surprisingly quick, and if they see a way to hide or run they will. Also unless your skink would eat some sort or wild bug outdoors, there really isn't a need to worry about parasites. I also would make sure there isn't any chemicals in or on your yard. Lastly, their poos can change depending on what they eat. If it continues to be runny, then just have it checked out.
kayla990
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Postby kayla990 » Thu May 27, 2021 1:15 am

Just an extra thought - there are some foldable playpens for pets. If you're concerned about a certain area of the grass - then you can set up a barrier around that section only. Still looking for one with a mesh lid for ourselves (in case of birds) - but there's quite a few on the market popping up :D
- Hons. Degree Animal Management -4 years volunteer in a Zoo -10 years volunteer in animal shelters -Enclosure enthusiast
McBoredFace
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby McBoredFace » Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:53 am

Cool! Thank you guys so much! When I didn’t get an answer for a while I was so scared the site was dying. Thank you again for your advice and ideas! They’re all really helpful:)
GraceM
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby GraceM » Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:38 am

Hi All,
My daughter is dying to let her Bluey play in the sand at the beach. Of course we'd watch very closely so he doesn't disappear, but do we need to worry about him picking up some kind of illness?
J
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:06 am

Wouldn't do it.
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN
Your Facebook name: Janella Poch

Postby Janella » Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:45 pm

I wouldn't suggest taking your lizard to the beach. Trust me, one distraction or not paying attention and your skink could be gone. Also you never know when another bird or animal may think your skink is lunch.
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:14 am

And just to add, 80 percent of the population is terrified of reptiles, and this may just entice lawmakers to put more bans on keeping...

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”