Having UV strips in advance?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
rixusaku
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Having UV strips in advance?

Postby rixusaku » Fri May 14, 2021 8:44 am

Hey guys! I'm looking into switching out the glass viv I have for Noodle for a Kages PVC viv. I like the airflow in Kages better than their competitors (even though i understand they're a little more expensive, but that might be because their shipping is free) and I've been looking at various different ones for a month now and have settled my sights on Kages.

The reason I'm asking this question is because I'm changing up how I'm doing the lighting by having it inside the viv instead of outside (don't worry, I'll be getting the appropriate lighting cages for protection before I switch over). This is so if I get any future reptiles I can stack the vivs safely and reliably, especially since I'm already looking into getting a spotted python, and having lights outside the viv creates extra space and needed airflow for the heat. I'm getting the Arcadia D3+ 12% UVB T5 22" bulb for the UV and pairing with the Arcadia Deep Heat Projector - 50w (less lights shining in my eyes and I also want to test out if I can use the 50w in the new viv or if I need to get their 80w).

Can I get two bulbs of the UV at once so I have an extra one laying around in case the other one burns out early or to have a bulb when it's ready to be replaced? I dont know if having the bulb for at least a year before changing it will lower the quality of it or not. I know keeping extra bulbs is good practice anyway, and know that I can keep an extra heat bulb around reliability, but I wanted to check since this UV method is different than the Powersun bulb I'm using.

Thanks!
| Noodle | Male | 3 years | Northern |
| My Care Experience: Since January 2021 |
IvanDanko
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: Having UV strips in advance?

Postby IvanDanko » Mon May 17, 2021 5:06 am

Zero issues with that and as you said generally good practice, if you get the chance have spares.They will not degrade unless used - they all have a lifespan in hours of operation hence the 6-12 month replacement schedule depending on the type of bulb. When I first got mine I found a shop clearing them out for 5 dollars each as they were unused stock. Worked perfectly and I got three of them! (Saved me about 140 dollars)
1.0.0 Lowland Blotched (Tiliqua Nigrolutea) - Peanut

"There's nothing that a green grenade can't fix"
rixusaku
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: Having UV strips in advance?

Postby rixusaku » Mon May 17, 2021 12:33 pm

Oh nice! Yeah that sounds like a steal. Thank you for the info :D
| Noodle | Male | 3 years | Northern |
| My Care Experience: Since January 2021 |

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”