Bluey hiding a lot

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Vindication10
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Bluey hiding a lot

Postby Vindication10 » Wed May 05, 2021 8:29 am

Hi, I keep my northern blue tongue upstairs and I sleep downstairs. I noticed that I never see her out when I go and check on her. Whenever it's time to feed her, I have to find her and pull her out to feed. Her temps on the basking side is 90-95. I don't know about the others but I believe the cool side is 75. Is her hiding normal?
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Re: Bluey hiding a lot

Postby splashy07 » Wed May 05, 2021 9:21 am

Bump up the temps a few degrees. There is no reason to have to pull her out to feed, they can smell food a half mile away.
rixusaku
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby rixusaku » Wed May 05, 2021 1:21 pm

If you just got the BTS then hiding is very normal. If not, hiding is usually normal anyway from what I understand about them. They like exploring underground by digging tunnels. Only time I see mine is when he's basking a few hours out of the day.

Edit: pulling her out from hiding to eat could be detrimental to getting her comfortable in her home and getting her used to you, so I agree that you shouldn't do that anymore. Let her come out to eat on her own time.
| Noodle | Male | 3 years | Northern |
| My Care Experience: Since January 2021 |
Vindication10
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Vindication10 » Wed May 05, 2021 3:12 pm

rixusaku wrote:If you just got the BTS then hiding is very normal. If not, hiding is usually normal anyway from what I understand about them. They like exploring underground by digging tunnels. Only time I see mine is when he's basking a few hours out of the day.

Edit: pulling her out from hiding to eat could be detrimental to getting her comfortable in her home and getting her used to you, so I agree that you shouldn't do that anymore. Let her come out to eat on her own time.

I've had her for almost 3 years. It seems like the only thing she does it sleep lol!
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN
Your Facebook name: Janella Poch

Postby Janella » Wed May 05, 2021 6:27 pm

Hi, so as suggested your temps are low. I would aim for a basking spot of 100-105. Then, if she still won't come out to bask and eat on her own, then vet visit. It isn't normal for them to not come out of hiding to eat. I wouldn't force her out either. How many hides do you have?
Vindication10
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Vindication10 » Thu May 06, 2021 8:52 am

Janella wrote:Hi, so as suggested your temps are low. I would aim for a basking spot of 100-105. Then, if she still won't come out to bask and eat on her own, then vet visit. It isn't normal for them to not come out of hiding to eat. I wouldn't force her out either. How many hides do you have?

I've tried a higher basking spot and she never used it, I believe it was too hot. She currently only has one hide, but she never uses it. She mainly likes to bury herself. Should I add more? What do you recommend?
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby Janella » Thu May 06, 2021 9:13 am

The basking spot should be at least 100. As for hides it depends on the size of your enclosure. The more hides and things to help make your skink feel secure the better they are in the long run.
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Thu May 06, 2021 9:15 am

There should be a hide on each side, one on the warm and one on the cooler end. Can you post a picture of your setup?
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby Janella » Thu May 06, 2021 10:31 am

Yes, I totally agree. Hides should be on both ends.
Vindication10
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Vindication10 » Thu May 06, 2021 1:45 pm

splashy07 wrote:There should be a hide on each side, one on the warm and one on the cooler end. Can you post a picture of your setup?

Her tank is quite bare, I know. I have a hard time figuring out what to put in there. I cant put fake plants with a base because she always tries to eat the base of the plant.

She's in the T8 48w x 24D x 12H Animal Plastics tank.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Vindication10 on Thu May 06, 2021 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vindication10
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Vindication10 » Thu May 06, 2021 1:45 pm

Janella wrote:The basking spot should be at least 100. As for hides it depends on the size of your enclosure. The more hides and things to help make your skink feel secure the better they are in the long run.

What bulb do you recommend? I thought northerns basking spot should be 90- 95?
Vindication10
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Vindication10 » Thu May 06, 2021 1:49 pm

Janella wrote:Yes, I totally agree. Hides should be on both ends.

I just posted some pictures. She lives in a good size tank, but it's pretty bare. I want to do the best for her but I have no idea what to do.
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby Janella » Fri May 07, 2021 9:08 am

So the temps do need to be higher. 100-105. Then as far as basking bulb goes, you just need to find the one that reaches the temp gradient you are looking for. 12 inches high isn't very high, so the bulb shouldn't have to be to powerful to reach the gradient of 100-105. I would add at least 1 or two more hides.
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Fri May 07, 2021 9:20 am

I have a few of the exact same cages. There is plenty of room to put a hide at each end.
Vindication10
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Vindication10 » Fri May 07, 2021 12:16 pm

Janella wrote:So the temps do need to be higher. 100-105. Then as far as basking bulb goes, you just need to find the one that reaches the temp gradient you are looking for. 12 inches high isn't very high, so the bulb shouldn't have to be to powerful to reach the gradient of 100-105. I would add at least 1 or two more hides.

What wattage should I go for? I always have such a hard time getting the correct bulb.
Vindication10
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Vindication10 » Fri May 07, 2021 12:19 pm

splashy07 wrote:I have a few of the exact same cages. There is plenty of room to put a hide at each end.

What type of bulb do you use? I ALWAYS struggle with finding the correct one? Also, where do I put the hide on the hot side? Under the bulb?
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby Janella » Fri May 07, 2021 2:30 pm

So the best way to check temps is with a temp gun. So you could get a 100w bulb that may or may not work. You have to check the actual basking spot. Read what it says. You may need a lower wattage if to hot/etc. One hide should be under the basking spot and the other on the cool end.
Vindication10
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Vindication10 » Fri May 07, 2021 3:53 pm

Janella wrote:So the best way to check temps is with a temp gun. So you could get a 100w bulb that may or may not work. You have to check the actual basking spot. Read what it says. You may need a lower wattage if to hot/etc. One hide should be under the basking spot and the other on the cool end.

I was using a 100W so I just bought a bulb 125W bulb. I'll be buying a new hide soon, thank you!
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby Janella » Fri May 07, 2021 5:16 pm

Sounds good and if you need anything else just let me know.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”