Question on mating

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
rixusaku
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Question on mating

Postby rixusaku » Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:55 pm

If a BTS has mated before, is it recommended to allow them to continue to mate or would it be fine for them to not do so anymore? The reason I'm asking is because I've been doing some thinking after finding out that ferrets don't do well health wise when you detach them from a breeding cycle once they've been introduced to it, so it got me wondering if other animals are the same? I don't know if BTS can develop some health issues once they've mated before and are no longer introduced to the activity anymore.

Noodle has mated I think twice before and was in the store with a confirmed mate when I got him (in different enclosures). They were having a special on buying the two skinks together, but I didn't think it would be a good idea for me, a new reptile keeper, to jump head in blind with breeding, so I only got Noodle since he seemed to be the more tempered of the two of them and nicer.

If it's recommended to let them continue to mate, does anyone know if there are some people out there who "donate", for a lack of a better description, their skink for mating purposes? I wouldn't mind letting a breeder in the area using him to mate with any of their other skinks once a year, but it also seems like they've got their own carefully setup breeding system going anyway, so I'm not sure if the notion is ridiculous?

Any thoughts??? It would make it easier on me if I don't have to worry about it lol!
| Noodle | Male | 3 years | Northern |
| My Care Experience: Since January 2021 |
mb606587
ADMIN
ADMIN

Re: Question on mating

Postby mb606587 » Wed May 05, 2021 8:53 pm

It's perfectly OK for your skink not to mate again. As for your second question, yes it's called a breeding loan and typically done for rare or expensive animals
rixusaku
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: Question on mating

Postby rixusaku » Wed May 05, 2021 10:56 pm

He is a morph, which to my understanding is pretty rare in itself considering the importation of Australian breeds is illegal, so I think if I wanted to go ahead and do a breed loan I might have that option. It's good to know it's not necessary for their health though.

Thank you for the info!
| Noodle | Male | 3 years | Northern |
| My Care Experience: Since January 2021 |

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”