Possible RI, not sure what my next step should be

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Jambalam
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Possible RI, not sure what my next step should be

Postby Jambalam » Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:25 am

Hi all. First-time BTS keeper here, so I apologise in advance if I ask any silly questions. I've read through the caresheet and FAQs but am still not entirely content with the information I have. For context for all of this, I live in Australia. Also, this will be a long read, sorry again for that.

My Ziggy, an Eastern who I got at 2 weeks old in mid-Feb, had fluid and bubbles from their eyes on Saturday morning. They were also making a quiet popping noise every few times then inhaled. I immediately wiped off the fluid, used a warm towel to clean their face and booked a vet appointment that afternoon. The vet said it was conjunctivitis and just told me to use a cotton bud and saline solution to wipe their eyes a few times each day (which I have been doing).

Ziggy hasn't had any fluid leaking since Saturday, but the rare popping sound is still there whenever I check on them. They have also been spending their nights on the colder side of their enclosure, blocking up the entrance with bedding. They have been eating but not as much as they usually do. They have not had any mucus or crust on their nose, but have often had their left eye closed (that's the eye the vet was concerned about).

I was further advised by the reptile zoo in my area (who were also the breeders from whom I got Ziggy) to try and maintain a consistent heat level in the enclosure overnight, and today I bought a purple heat emitter to do that. Before now, I've only had a UVB heat/light combo bulb so temps have dropped at night but almost never below 20C.

Other than that, though, I don't know what more I can do to care for Ziggy through their illness. I'm worried that the popping, even though it is very infrequent and soft, might indicate a respiratory infection and require further attention from the vet. But, I also don't want to rush back when Ziggy's condition hasn't really gotten worse since Saturday (it's only really gotten better, but mildly). Is there anything else I can do for them? I can't see the vet again until Saturday and they seem to be the only exotic vet in my area. I feel really helpless at the moment and would really like to know if I should be calling an emergency line or anything of that nature.

I have a 4x2x2 tank, 160w bulb, the basking spot gets up to 33C, the warm side's air temp is usually 27-29 and the colder side is usually 24-26. I can post pictures of the enclosure and/or Ziggy if they would help.
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN
Your Facebook name: Janella Poch

Re: Possible RI, not sure what my next step should be

Postby Janella » Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:58 pm

Hello there, so my suggestion as a technician for exotic vets is that if you are still concerned and keep hearing the popping noise, then contact the vet. Let them know you are continuing to hear the noise and have concerns. You know your pet better than anyone and when in doubt..call.
You could also bump his basking temp up slightly to help during the healing process. Don't stress...you got this!

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”