Found baby dead.

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
jewell28
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Found baby dead.

Postby jewell28 » Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:48 pm

Hi everyone. I found one of my babies dead this arvo. I thought it might have been hypothermia, but my other is fine and acting normally. He also didn't attempt to burrow, it's like he just laid down and died. I just flipped him over and found something unusual. I am new to blue tongues, I don’t know what I did wrong or what happened. I'm absolutely crushed. Does anyone know what this could be? I could only think that it was an internal or digestive issue, or shedding not going correctly. They eat a balanced diet and I introduced meal worms to them recently, but that's the only thing new. Any help would be appreciated, thank you.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rixusaku
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: Found baby dead.

Postby rixusaku » Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:35 am

My sympathies to you. It's always hard to find an animal like this.

I won't be able to help you much on this matter outside of asking if you kept them in the same enclosure. Blue tongue skinks are solitary and territorial animals and should never be kept in the same enclosure (outside of mated shingleback blue tongue skinks, those mate pairs stay together for life).

I wish you luck in finding your answer to this so it doesnt happen again. And again, I am sorry.
| Noodle | Male | 3 years | Northern |
| My Care Experience: Since January 2021 |
ThatOneReptileNoob
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: Found baby dead.

Postby ThatOneReptileNoob » Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:19 pm

Condolences, losing pets is hardly ever easy, especially when you expect to have them for so much longer.
Could it have fallen onto a rock? It looks almost... dented(?) in the picture you shared.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”