Cage size for a baby Northern or Eastern BTS

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Rob
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Cage size for a baby Northern or Eastern BTS

Postby Rob » Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:33 am

I plan to get a captive bred baby, when I get my BTS. Would it be best to place her in a smaller cage than what you would put a full grown BTS in? Would a large enclosure cause stress? Also would a 40 gallon aquarium be the right size for a baby? Thank you, Rob
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Re: Cage size for a baby Northern or Eastern BTS

Postby splashy07 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:01 am

No sense buying two cages. Babies grow VERY fast, some attaining adult size or darn close at 10 months to one year of age. When you get your baby, section off a part of the cage for him.
A 40 breeder can house your skink for life. Larger is always better, space requirements call for smaller at times...I'd love to have an apartment full of four foot cages but is simply impossible with the size of my collection. I'd consider a 40b or similar footprint the minimum size, but acceptable.
Rob
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Rob » Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:08 am

:) thank you Splashy!
Noodlebasket
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Noodlebasket » Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:32 pm

Just to throw my hat in the ring, I got my Irian Jaya at around 3 months old and have had him for just about two months. He has probably gained 3 to 4 inches in length already. I had a 36x18x18 already so I have him in there but his 48x24x24 gets here in a couple days and I do wish I had just waited for the larger enclosure in the first place. He already makes full use of every inch of his current set up!
Irian Jaya - Blep
Enclosure - 1/2" PVC 48"x24"x24" with 4" dam
Substrate - 60% Topsoil/Sand 40% CocoBlox
Heating - Arcadia DHP 75W, Phillips PAR98 Halogen 90W
Lighting - Fluorescent 5.0 UVB100 24"
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:39 am

If you put them on the floor in a huge apartment they'll use all the space too. It's most times an issue of space. Of course larger is always better, and a big cage can always be sectioned off for a baby in the beginning. Glad your guy likes his new cage!
Rob
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Rob » Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:12 am

:thumbs: thanks guys! One of the reasons I asked is because I have an old 40 gal aquarium and I thought Hot dang I could keep him in that until his forever home arrives. However I don't think this is the right time, unfortunately. I just bought a house in GA it's old and I am having new flooring put down. I am afraid of the fumes from the glue they will use. So all signs point towards waiting until next year. However I do have a screen room with electricity but I would worry about regulating the cage temperature. You know I started researching for my retirement pet over 5 years ago. Not kidding. Now that I am certain, I don't want to wait. Oh well that's life. Thanks again I really like this group of people, very friendly.
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:32 am

Let me warn you, your retirement pet of choice has an issue....they are highly addictive!
Wise of you to wait until you are settled in. I'm getting close to retirement also, and my only worry is how to get all my pets to Florida...I've got lots a friends in the business, and will have no problem getting them to ship for me but what a worry...!! I hate shipping my own babies, and baby season is right around the corner. Adult animals....oh God....not looking forward to it!
rixusaku
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby rixusaku » Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:42 am

I can attest to the addictive part! I got my BTS back in early January of this year (my first pet outside of cats, dogs, and hamsters) and I am just head over heels of him. He's like a "gateway" drug for me and now I want to keep fishes with elaborate tanks and other reptiles and just fill an entire room with them. However, I can't keep other reptiles because they all need live feedings...and my fiance wants none of that in the house. :C

It's why I got a BTS, they don't require live feedings to be healthy, although I would like to. I might be able to get away with live snails at some point.
| Noodle | Male | 3 years | Northern |
| My Care Experience: Since January 2021 |

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”