Getting toe shed off a new skink

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Princeofpita
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Your Facebook name: Gus Gesteland

Getting toe shed off a new skink

Postby Princeofpita » Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:30 pm

Hey all, I recently got a couple month old Halmahera. I’ve only had him about a week but he has some stuck shed on his toes that I feel I should remove. He is VERY huffy and certainly wary of being picked up and I am worried that his first interaction with me will be negative if I have to get the shed off of his toes. Any tips or recommendations?
MaddyKay99
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: Getting toe shed off a new skink

Postby MaddyKay99 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:06 pm

For the first 2 months I had my baby our only interactions were when I had to give him injections, syringe feed him, or administer topical medication (I now know never to have an animal sent to me without being able to check them out). But that did not affect his temperament at all. He is still a pretty cuddly boy, always coming to the glass when I walk in and loves getting out of his cage to explore. If you give your baby a nice long, warm soak then working that toe shed off isn't too hard from my experience. I hope this maybe eased your worries a bit! I cannot see one experience like this doing too much damage
Princeofpita
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Your Facebook name: Gus Gesteland

Re: Getting toe shed off a new skink

Postby Princeofpita » Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:03 pm

Thank you for the encouragement! I’ve had all kinds of animals but my little bluey is my first reptile so definitely a new experience. I’ll give it a go tomorrow and see how it turns out!

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”