Do you think my skink has an RI?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Coolcar91
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Do you think my skink has an RI?

Postby Coolcar91 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:05 pm

Hi! So as you guys have seen, I’m a new owner, and I have been asking a few very specific questions. This is another one of those times. From what I’ve read about respiratory infections, a lot of things could be symptoms but aren’t necessarily. I’ll go to a vet of course if there’s any real concern, but I don’t want to do that if I’m just being a helicopter mom about nothing. So, if any of you guys would tell me if these are normal skink things or something to worry about, that would help a lot! So, here goes:

Reasons he may have an RI:
He sneezes(or huffs-a combination, I think) a lot-sometimes it seems involuntary, and his body kind of jumps.

He has a little patch of something around his nose-damaged scales, normal scuffs from digging or eating, or “discharge”? Picture included.
EDIT: the powder around his nose does look like the calcium powder I put on his food every other day-that could also be what it is.

He had some bubbles coming out the side of his mouth after eating some snails-I’ve read that might be normal, but still worrisome!

He sometimes holds his mouth slightly open, and has opened it about halfway for no apparent reason a couple times.

His mouth sometimes makes a creaky noise when he opens and closes it.

Reasons he may not have an RI:

He’s not lethargic at all-he still climbs around and is very friendly, except when he was shedding.

His temps are pretty good-about 70-75 on the cool side and 90-95 on the warm side(warmer on his rock).

His humidity is about 30-50 percent.

His eyes are clear, and he’s not wheezing or crackling or anything like that.

I’ve read a lot about respiratory infections, and since he’s a Northern, I know they don’t often get them.

Okay, that’s basically all the information I have that’s been worrying me...sorry to bother you if all of this is nothing, but if there might be a problem I have to take care of him. I don’t have much experience with reptiles, and I want to treat him right. Thank you to anyone who actually read this far! :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1.0.0 Northern: Gimli!
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Re: Do you think my skink has an RI?

Postby splashy07 » Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:23 am

Looks like he's on aspen, I'd change that. Had extreme difficulty with it when I first started keeping northerns, at the time I was told to use it. Not good. Way too dry, experienced excessive sneezing and abnormally difficult sheds.
Coolcar91
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Coolcar91 » Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:27 am

Okay, he’s definitely had both of those...should I switch to cypress mulch then, or would you recommend something else? Good to know that that might be the reason for the sneezing!
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:11 am

I use coco husk, repti bark, cypress mulch or similar. Sometimes a combination of all three depending on what I have around. The only thing I use aspen for are rodents and some of my colubrids. I've found it does not work at all for my northerns.
Coolcar91
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Coolcar91 » Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:13 am

Okay, next time I change the substrate I’ll try one of those, thanks!!! Are any of the other behaviors I mentioned problems, or are they all normal or substrate-related too?
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:06 am

I would immediately switch out the substrate and take it from there.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”