Toxic Foods?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
ThatOneReptileNoob
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Toxic Foods?

Postby ThatOneReptileNoob » Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:23 pm

I’m curious, because I know chocolate is toxic to dogs, birds, cats I think, and all of those guys. Is chocolate toxic to reptiles? I know how and why chocolate kills dogs, but is the same chemical, theobromine, toxic to reptiles too? Obviously even if it ISN’T toxic, I’d never try it. There’s plenty of healthy treats for blueys, and somehow I don’t think that they’d like the healthy kind of chocolate, since it’s so bitter (I find it excellent, though).
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Re: Toxic Foods?

Postby splashy07 » Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:24 am

Why on earth would you give an animal of any type chocolate?
ThatOneReptileNoob
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby ThatOneReptileNoob » Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:50 am

I don’t. I literally said that . I’m just curious from a learning standpoint if theobromine is toxic. That’s all. Just wanna learn.
Terreos
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Terreos » Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:12 pm

I think it’s safe to say it’s probably not safe for them to eat. But people DO feed their dogs chocolate. So there are some very dumb people out there. I go by this food chart when picking food for my skink. No mention of chocolate as I’m assuming it should be obvious not to feed a reptile candy of any kind. But onion, avocado, and rhubarb are all toxic to a skink.

https://bluetongueskinks.net/foodchart.html
Last edited by Terreos on Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ThatOneReptileNoob
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby ThatOneReptileNoob » Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:22 pm

Thank you! I figured so, but I’m just always curious to know more, even the mundane or obvious! :lol:
Terreos
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Terreos » Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:51 pm

ThatOneReptileNoob wrote:Thank you! I figured so, but I’m just always curious to know more, even the mundane or obvious! :lol:

No problem. Still very new to this myself. But from the time I bought my BTS till the time they arrived was a good four months. I watched my fair share of videos and read plenty of care guides and I’m still a bit iffy on what is and isn’t a good idea. So in my eyes there isn’t a stupid question if you’re new to something. Plus it’s better to ask before rather than after. :dead:
Desertdoggo
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Desertdoggo » Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:53 am

Would you happen to know if they can eat potatoes or oranges? I did not see them on this chart but I heard they were not good.
rixusaku
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby rixusaku » Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:46 pm

Potatoes and other starches are difficult for them to digest while anything in the citrus family, oranges included, will give them a stomach ache. They're not toxic but they're certainly foods to avoid if you want your bts to be comfortable.
| Noodle | Male | 3 years | Northern |
| My Care Experience: Since January 2021 |
Desertdoggo
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Desertdoggo » Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:54 pm

I see thank you! I saw pineapples were on the chart but I had heard about citrus before so I was confused. Is there something about pineapples that makes them better? Aren't they very citrusy?
rixusaku
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby rixusaku » Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:37 pm

I'm not really sure to be honest lol. I think it's because people don't necessarily classify them as a classic citrus fruit since how they're grown is different from all other citrus fruits; they grow directly in the ground instead of on a tree. As far as citrus content I couldn't tell you. Maybe someone else on here knows?
| Noodle | Male | 3 years | Northern |
| My Care Experience: Since January 2021 |
aronoiiel
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby aronoiiel » Mon May 03, 2021 6:51 am

From the small bit of research I did it deems thst pineapple is not classified as a citrus which is actually the genus of fruits like oranges and geepfruits. More over it seems since it grows on a stalk technically it is more a berry than a fruit. So that could have something to do with it. Even on the bearded dragon safe list they can have pineapple no more than once a month. It does seem to be high in teo acids which is hard on the digestive system. So I would feed very rarely if you try it.
Interesting how we think things are the same but science is all weeeelllllll you see- lol

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”