New Halmahera Owner

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Princeofpita
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Your Facebook name: Gus Gesteland

New Halmahera Owner

Postby Princeofpita » Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:26 pm

Hey all! So this post may be a little long but just looking for advice and tips!
I am new to reptile ownership (aside from fire bellied toads when I was little) and just got a new baby Halmahera. I was originally planning on getting a Northern but the place I went had just sold their older Northern. The guy helping me directed me to a new little Halmahera that he described to me as “essentially the same care requirements as a Northern.” I have come to find that he was wildly incorrect as far as husbandry recommendation. The tank I have was originally set up for a Northern but I am working to remedy that. I have a Vision 332 (36x28x18) and am using cypress mulch mixed with coco fiber as a substrate. I have a few various hides throughout the tank with one filled with sphagnum most for humidity. His hot spot is currently at 100 with an ambient temp of 80s dropping to the mid 70s on the cool side. I got him two days ago and have been able to keep the humidity in the 50-60 range but I have a mister on the way so hopefully that will remedy the low humidity. My only issue is that he just started shedding and I am worried about his cute little toes. Any tips on keeping the humidity up until the mister gets here aside from a humid hide and hand misting? Any suggestions on any of my current husbandry would be awesome as well! I just want to make sure he’s as happy and healthy as he can be. Thanks in advance!
rixusaku
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: New Halmahera Owner

Postby rixusaku » Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:20 am

After some quick research since I'm still new and don't have an Eastern myself, I have a Northern, I think what you're doing for the moment will be fine. TC Houstin from Reptile Mountain on youtube has hundreds of really great care videos on blue tongues that I really enjoy watching. He has one on how to check the feet after a shed found here and basically he explains to you that you can gently rub your fingers down their toes 4-5 days after they shed to get any stuck shed off. I've heard of people using a lukewarm to warm bath soak of half an inch of water (or water high enough so that it reaches their elbows) for 20-30 minutes to get off really stubborn shed too and then toe checking again. I think a humid hide is going to be very beneficial for them right now so as long as they're going in there and the humidity is high enough in it I don't think there's going to be any problems.

If you've done all of that and still can't get any of it off, you can take the little guy to the vet as a last resort and they should be able to get the stuck shed off for you without hurting the skink. Based off what the store owner mentioned, I think you changing the humidity up now is going to really help them with their shed anyway considering the skink might have been in an environment where the humidity was too low, so if it isn't their first time shedding, I don't think you'll have too many problems with them if they still have all of their toes.

I don't know if there are any other tips for checking sheds and what to do for stuck sheds, but I'm sure one of the other more experienced keepers will know what to do.

Good luck and welcome to the community! I hope their shed comes off okay. :D
| Noodle | Male | 2 years | Northern |
| My Care Experience: Since January 2021 |
Princeofpita
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Your Facebook name: Gus Gesteland

Postby Princeofpita » Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:24 pm

TC Houstin from Reptile Mountain on youtube has hundreds of really great care videos on blue tongues that I really enjoy watching. He has one on how to check the feet after a shed found [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFTd2i7DGvc]here[/url

Definitely an awesome resource! I can’t believe I haven’t seen any of his videos before but he seems like he has tons of good info. It’s so hard trying to find answers to everything because there is so much varying information everywhere. He seems to be doing okay for now but we will just have to see. Thanks for the guidance!
pongpaeng
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby pongpaeng » Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:34 pm

You can help it shed by bathing it with warm water, check on its' toe & nail. I also own halmahera but I have no meter to check the temperature but it looks fine for me.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”