New Blue Tongue Skink Has Crusty Eyes

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
faye0731
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

New Blue Tongue Skink Has Crusty Eyes

Postby faye0731 » Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:20 am

Hi! I recently took in a 5 year old merauke blue tongue skink from someone that couldn’t care for her. She had an upper respiratory infection and eye infections in both eyes, so my vet prescribed her oflaxacin eye drops and sulfamethoxazole antibiotics. She has gotten a lot better; her appetite has improved and she doesn’t show any symptoms of an upper respiratory infection. Her eyes are still a bit crusty around the edges and a little irritated though (even though they look a lot better than before). The eyes themselves are clear, but when she first wakes up (especially after being burrowed) she has a hard time opening them for a minute. I know that is sometimes caused by the humidity levels being off, hers are kept at around 45% give or take a couple percent. She has coconut husk bark bedding (the big chunks). Her previous owner kept her in eco earth bedding which was definitely too dusty for her. Her temps never get below 72 degrees at night. Is there anything I should be doing differently? Or any advice? She is my first bts and an absolute sweetheart, so I’m just trying to provide her the best home possible. Thanks!
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Re: New Blue Tongue Skink Has Crusty Eyes

Postby splashy07 » Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:05 am

Raise humidity to at least 65 percent.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”