Not eating for multiple weeks but still active

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Navybuffalo
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Not eating for multiple weeks but still active

Postby Navybuffalo » Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:23 pm

My lovely skink, Wizard is in a Kages terrarium - 5 by 2, I believe. He's a got a UVA/B lamp and a heat projector set to maintain the heat gradient. Stays around 102-108 on the hot side a 79-84 on the cool. Eats dog food with veggies thrown in. I'm in Canada, and coastal so its winter but the weather bounces around everyday. Wizard should be around 2 years old at this point, maybe just a touch under. Not sure of sex, and so maybe she's a she and so just looking for a mate around now? Definitely appears to be approaching a shed, but I thought it would happen earlier than now and so was assuming that's all it was. Maybe it is, just the shed is taking longer than usual. I've done two "steam baths" in the normal way, and with belly rubbing but nothing has come out. Tried banana, veggies by themselves, combining. Nuthin. Haven't given any olive oil or anything yet.

Hasn't eaten for around 3 weeks, by my memory, as I wasn't too concerned the first time Wiz refused food. Still super active, if anything more so. I just moved apartments at the beginning of this month, but I believe she refused the meal beforehand. She would have been in the living room of the last place, and is not in my bedroom. As I was moving, there would have been more activity in that livingroom than normal and there is certainly more in my room (previously the living room was almost constantly unoccupied). That's everything I can think of that would be relevant. She's always been a voracious eater, starting off each session by biting the soft plastic plate and murdering it until it willingly gives up the dog food salad. Maybe its nothing, but its hard not to obsess. I don't have the money to go to a vet every time I become a helicopter parent, so I like to be sure its not just me first.
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Re: Not eating for multiple weeks but still active

Postby splashy07 » Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:03 am

What type of BTS is it? Males act that way when in season.
Navybuffalo
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Navybuffalo » Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:11 am

Its a northern. Not sure if male or female. How long would that usually last?
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:19 am

My northerns go into brumation late October to November, resurface in late January/mid February at which time they start to go into breeding mode. The males tear their cages apart and do not eat. I still have one male not eating yet, and I'm done with breeding season. He obviously is not!

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”