Possible impaction/constipation?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Kriz420
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Possible impaction/constipation?

Postby Kriz420 » Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:13 pm

It's been about 8 days since Mars has last pooped and I'm very worried that he might've gotten backed up. The last time I gave him a proper meal was 8 days ago. I fed him his usual dog food blend along with one hornworm as a treat. I feel like the hornworm might've been too big or something. Yesterday I gave him a warm bath and he was only able to pass urates, with some being stringy and one being relatively solid. I then gave him some small bits of banana (which he gobbled up instantly) because I heard it's good for digestion. So he's definitely hungry (he's a good eater by the way) but I'm scared of feeding him again because I don't want anything to build up inside of him. I'm also supposed to be treating him for pinworms but I don't wanna give him the Panacur yet because I feel like it'd worsen the situation somehow.

So the questions I have are:

-When should I feed him again?
-If I can't feed him yet then how long can a juvenile (he's 7 months old) skink go without eating?
-How long is too long when it comes to pooping?
-What are some other ways to help him poop?
-Should I give him his Panacur now or after he poops?
-Should I feed him before or after giving him his first weekly dose of Panacur?
IvanDanko
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: Possible impaction/constipation?

Postby IvanDanko » Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:21 pm

I'll try my best to answer each point:

- Offer food as per normal schedule. A hungry skink will eat. A picky skink is not a hungry skink.
- Skinks, even juveniles will go off food at times. They can sustain themselves for quite an extended period.
- Skinks can also hold off on defecating at times particularly close to shed. Often immediately after or during shedding they will drop what they have been holding.
- Follow the dosage guidelines for Panacur as directed, once a week with food. You can give the first dose at any time.

Keep an eye on Mars but im sure he will be fine.
"There's nothing that a green grenade can't fix"
Janella
Your Facebook name: Janella Poch

Re: Possible impaction/constipation?

Postby Janella » Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:30 pm

Ditto to the above response. Good job with the reply.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”