Something in my pet water bowl!! please help identifying

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
pongpaeng
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Something in my pet water bowl!! please help identifying

Postby pongpaeng » Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:08 pm

Hello guys, I saw this thing floating on the water bowl, I'm not sure what it is. At first I thought it was just a bubble but the movement is not! If somebody know about this thing please help. Is it a mite?

https://twitter.com/Shakugans/status/13 ... 2630191106
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Re: Something in my pet water bowl!! please help identifying

Postby splashy07 » Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:30 am

They are springtails. Harmless. Actually, beneficial.
pongpaeng
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby pongpaeng » Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:11 pm

splashy07 wrote:They are springtails. Harmless. Actually, beneficial.

Oh! ok, thank you very much for your help replying. I thought it was a wood mite. I'll let'em live longer a bit until I clean up the enclosure next time. Will bluey eat springtails? :shock:
ThatOneReptileNoob
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby ThatOneReptileNoob » Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:36 am

pongpaeng wrote:
splashy07 wrote:They are springtails. Harmless. Actually, beneficial.

Oh! ok, thank you very much for your help replying. I thought it was a wood mite. I'll let'em live longer a bit until I clean up the enclosure next time. Will bluey eat springtails? :shock:

I don’t believe so. Springtails stay so tiny it likely wouldn’t bother. If you can picture about as long as your pinky finger’s nail is wide, that’s a pretty good estimation of the longest one I’ve seen. They’re actually really interesting little bugs, I have a culture of them and while I wait to be able to put them in the enclosure they’ve become almost like low maintenance pets! :lol:
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:03 am

Springtails are a fraction of a fraction of an inch. That little cluster you see in the water is probably about 5-10 of them. Your BT wouldn't even see it, never mind eat it.
pongpaeng
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby pongpaeng » Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:48 am

ThatOneReptileNoob wrote:
pongpaeng wrote:

I don’t believe so. Springtails stay so tiny it likely wouldn’t bother. If you can picture about as long as your pinky finger’s nail is wide, that’s a pretty good estimation of the longest one I’ve seen. They’re actually really interesting little bugs, I have a culture of them and while I wait to be able to put them in the enclosure they’ve become almost like low maintenance pets! :lol:

For me, it came out of no where but I guess it's from the leaf litter I bought from Tarantula shop, I don't do bioactive setup, that's why I want to stay away from bug as possible because I have my Bluey enclosure in my room.
ThatOneReptileNoob
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby ThatOneReptileNoob » Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:25 am

pongpaeng wrote:For me, it came out of no where but I guess it's from the leaf litter I bought from Tarantula shop, I don't do bioactive setup, that's why I want to stay away from bug as possible because I have my Bluey enclosure in my room.

Yah, I believe they have a tendency to do that... :lol:
I believe they’re native to... basically everywhere, so they really could have just hopped on in on their own!

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”