Good security camera for monitoring pets (motion detection)?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
rixusaku
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Good security camera for monitoring pets (motion detection)?

Postby rixusaku » Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:00 pm

Does anyone know of some good cheap security cameras that I can use to monitor my blue tongue, Noodle, to recognize what some normal behaviors from him would be? I don't want to pop into the room too often to check in and bug him when he's just chilling or sleeping (he's a light sleeper). I also just simply want to watch and admire my Noodle boy throughout the day without being a nuisance, haha!

I bought the WiFi Teckin Cam off Amazon but it doesn't detect Noodle's movements. In fact, it doesn't even detect the movements of my hand waving in front of it and I have to completely step in front of the camera, obscuring all vision, in order for it to detect that there's movement. It works so poorly in fact that I thought it was straight-up broken before this morning when I was tapping off his water fountain. They also claim it streams at 1080p but it's clearly 720p on my phone so that sucks a little.

I don't want to have the app open on my phone all day to detect movement, and at times, even keeping it open I don't notice when he moves since I'm busy doing something else. I want to be able to be alerted of movement so I can check up on what he's doing when he's not basking.

Thanks in advance!
| Noodle | Male | 2 years | Northern |
| My Care Experience: Since January 2021 |
splashy07

Re: Good security camera for monitoring pets (motion detection)?

Postby splashy07 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:00 am

Well, good and cheap are seldom in the same category. Possibly ask around your friends or co-workers who have security cameras at home.
rixusaku
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby rixusaku » Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:10 am

True. I didn't mean to convey I wanted some of the cheapest ones, but I dont want to pay top dollar for the absolute best camera either. I want to find one that can have good image quality and motion detection without making me broke, lol.

I'll have to ask around with my circle of friends who have cameras.
aronoiiel
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby aronoiiel » Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:01 pm

I jave had good expeeience with the Wrize cameras. I have the pan camera to watch my dog in the living room and an extra one to watch my dragon's cage. They are pretty 8nexpensive and give good clear pictures. The nightmode is really clear to. Moat rhe time it alerts my tv as movement if i goeget to turn it to an audio book before i leave so its pretty sensitive. Just an idea.
Desertdoggo
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Desertdoggo » Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:22 am

Probably not what you are looking for, but I got a webcam and I just stream my whole tank on twitch while I'm at work. Then I just skim through the preview bar till I see him moving around. And some times I can catch him doing stuff live if work is slow
rixusaku
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby rixusaku » Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:37 am

I have definitely thought about the streaming idea. Probably do it on a private Discord channel instead of so publicly every day like Twitch (but I might set up some Twitch time every once in a while to actually stream it? Dunno if that'd be popular or not). I might do that, but having a raspberry pi setup would be more convenient for me than setting up a laptop for it, especially since I can program some motion detection in it that might be able to send messages in Discord to alert me, but I don't have time right now to set that up, lol. I will eventually since a webcam wouldn't have all that glare in there that these security cameras I've been using have. The quality isn't all that great either, it's very blurry when I zoom in anywhere.

Webcams are about the only way I can do this with the quality I want. XD

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”