Heating-related question

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Coolcar91
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Heating-related question

Postby Coolcar91 » Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:29 am

Hi! I have a bit of a conundrum with my heating. I have a 150 watt lamp and a 100 watt lamp. When I use the 150 watt lamp, the temps get up to 95-100 degrees, which I know is good, but his basking rock gets too hot to the touch, and he doesn’t bask on it. If I use the 100 watt lamp, the rock is pleasantly warm, but the temps are only 90-93 or so. My skink doesn’t seen to bask on the rock much either way, with the longest time being about an hour with the 100 watt lamp. I’d prefer not to get another rock, since it doubles as his favorite hide, but if I need to I can change the setup. I’ll send a picture of the rock for clarity. Thank you for all your help, I’ll try to be less annoying on here from now on! I’m just trying to do what’s right for my skink. Thank you!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
As I recently learned:
0.0.1 Northern: Gimli!
rixusaku
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: Heating-related question

Postby rixusaku » Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:21 am

I have that same hide! My blue tongue loves it. Basks on it, hides in it, you name it.

I had some heating trouble too in my tank since it's 18 inches high. I'm using a 160w bulb but my temps only get to about 85 on the hot side on the floor/substrate so I was thinking of getting another lamp to raise it more in the 90 degree range (in farenheit). However, my basking surface, the same as yours, gets about 104 degrees and lowers to about 98 the further it gets down the slope. It feels hot, but i got a temperature reading gun from Home Depot and found out it was within safe basking temps. You can try getting a heat gun to measure out your temps first and get a more accurate reading than touching it. They're not that expensive from what I remember, maybe $25??

If it's still too hot after measuring the temperature then getting a heat lamp stand would be your next best bet. That way you can raise the lamp up above the tank and it will reduce the temperatures. Try and get a really long one, about 2ft taller than your tank size. Your tank looks like it's within the height range of my own and if it is then you're going to have a hard time looking for stands tall enough to give you a good range of distances to the tank.

I bought the Zoo Med Reptile Lamp Stand (Large) and it works beautifully. It's sturdy, has good reach and variable distances, and I'm not worried about it dropping the lamp or tipping over. It also has some cord control if you're into that. I like the clean organization.
| Noodle | Male | 2 years | Northern |
| My Care Experience: Since January 2021 |
rixusaku
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby rixusaku » Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:31 am

I think it might be important to mention I'm using a dual heat and UVB/UVA bulb so since some of the power (maybe) is going toward the UV I might be getting lower temps compared to an exclusively heating bulb. I'm not sure how those work, but I do know that raising the lamp further above the tank will give lower temps no matter what sort of bulb you're using.
Coolcar91
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Coolcar91 » Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:41 pm

Thanks for the reply!! I thought I saw someone else who had it on here! It’s Gimli’s favorite hide by far.

So you think the basking temperature should be the temperature of the rock, not the air. That makes sense, as it’s actually what they’re touching when basking. I’ll get a temp gun and test it with both lamps, see which one works better! If neither are ideal, then I’ll look at the lamp stands like you said. And yes, my tank is 18 inches high too, which makes me a bit worried that my skink will go too close to the lamp, but I guess the lamp stand would solve that too! Thank you!
As I recently learned:
rixusaku
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby rixusaku » Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:05 pm

Yeah, it's nice to know the ambient temperature in the air for sure, which is usually what I use my probes for, but I use a temp gun to measure out the surfaces of the tank (hides and substrate and anything else) since that's what they're touching.

Edit: Also, 18" is pretty high. A lot of enclosures people talk about getting g for a blue tongue is usually 12-14 inches high. My boy is nearly full grown and even when he wall surfs he doesnt get near the top of the tank, so you should be safe in that regard. :D
Coolcar91
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Coolcar91 » Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:55 am

Great, that’s good to know! I ordered the temp gun and should be good now, thanks for your help!
As I recently learned:
rixusaku
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby rixusaku » Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:59 pm

No problem! I hope the heat gun answers a lot of the questions you have with heating, it certainly helped my questions. :D
Noodlebasket
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Noodlebasket » Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:29 am

You can use this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004DZONXI/?coliid=I2RQWCSFMZJPOL&colid=219IIRG67LCSQ&psc=1 dimmer in combination with the surface temperature gun to dial in whichever lamp you end up using. You could also consider using silicone to attach a real stone to the top of that hide. I used a flagstone / paving stone I grabbed at my local hardware store, it's a sort of tan so it doesn't blaze like a slate black would. I noticed the cork bark and plastic I almost used under the basking light gets much hotter than the stone does at the same dimmer setting.
Irian Jaya - Blep
Enclosure - 1/2" PVC 36"x18"x18" with 3" dam
Substrate - 40% Coconut Fiber Plantation Soil 40% Cyprus Mulch 20% Sphagnum Moss
Heating - Arcadia Deep Heat Projector 75W
Lighting - Halogen 5.0 UVB100
Coolcar91
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Coolcar91 » Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:31 am

Oh, that’s a nice idea! I’ll look at those options too! The temp gun is coming in a few days, so if neither bulb works well enough when I test it with that I’ll look into the alternatives you guys suggested!
As I recently learned:

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”