Width Of Northerns?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
ThatOneReptileNoob
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Width Of Northerns?

Postby ThatOneReptileNoob » Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:10 pm

Weird question, but does anybody know how wide the average is for an adult northern blue tongue? I’m planning on making a relatively elaborate enclosure, and need to know if it’ll get stuck in places it used to could go one day. It would also be helpful to know the same for babies, if anybody knows that as well. Although that one’s more to keep it OUT of areas I don’t want it. :lol:
IvanDanko
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: Width Of Northerns?

Postby IvanDanko » Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:22 am

Common sense approach works best, skinks can squeeze themselves into some some tight spaces at times. Using real world examples and not exact measurements purely on width...young babies can pretty comfortably fit into a something roughly the size of an empty toilet paper roll, adults vary - something the size of a tennis ball tube would be comfortable for them to pass through. Hope that helps.
1.0.0 Lowland Blotched (Tiliqua Nigrolutea) - Peanut

"There's nothing that a green grenade can't fix"
ThatOneReptileNoob
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby ThatOneReptileNoob » Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:55 am

IvanDanko wrote:Common sense approach works best, skinks can squeeze themselves into some some tight spaces at times. Using real world examples and not exact measurements purely on width...young babies can pretty comfortably fit into a something roughly the size of an empty toilet paper roll, adults vary - something the size of a tennis ball tube would be comfortable for them to pass through. Hope that helps.

Thanks! :D
rixusaku
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby rixusaku » Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:46 am

I'm no expert here so dont take what I'm about to say biblically. I'm just using educated guessing.

I've noticed that the width can change based on activity. They can get pretty flat when they're resting or lounging, and then almost twice their width when they're feeling threatened and hissing with some displaying. Then when they're just walking around, they can look leaner and about the width of their head although they're more rounded at this point than flat. After looking at their skeletal structure online, much of how they look resembles a snake. I'm pretty sure they're flexible to a degree with variable body widths much the same as a snake would be.

My best guess if I was going to make an enclosure or background piece for them would be to figure out how big their head is. Skulls usually aren't that flexible among most species of animals, so if it were me I would probably stick to making things i dont want them to get into being smaller than their head.
| Noodle | Male | 3 years | Northern |
| My Care Experience: Since January 2021 |
ThatOneReptileNoob
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby ThatOneReptileNoob » Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:53 am

rixusaku wrote:I'm no expert here so dont take what I'm about to say biblically. I'm just using educated guessing.

I've noticed that the width can change based on activity. They can get pretty flat when they're resting or lounging, and then almost twice their width when they're feeling threatened and hissing with some displaying. Then when they're just walking around, they can look leaner and about the width of their head although they're more rounded at this point than flat. After looking at their skeletal structure online, much of how they look resembles a snake. I'm pretty sure they're flexible to a degree with variable body widths much the same as a snake would be.

My best guess if I was going to make an enclosure or background piece for them would be to figure out how big their head is. Skulls usually aren't that flexible among most species of animals, so if it were me I would probably stick to making things i dont want them to get into being smaller than their head.

Got it, thanks!

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”