Eye problems

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Linggang
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Eye problems

Postby Linggang » Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:03 pm

Hi, I got my BTS (Merauke) about a year ago. After setting him up I decided to go for an Arcadia 100W Mercury Vapour D3 Basking Lamp.

After some time I noticed he stopped basking as much and started keeping an eye closed, mostly one but sometimes both. The eye looked quite swollen and red but at no point developed any crust or discharge so was quite certain it wasn't a RI. He also had no other symptoms of an RI.

From extensive research I believed it to be "photo-kerato-conjunctivitus". Looked exactly the same as images and had every sign of it. This, as far as I'm aware, was from the lamp being too close to him - meant to be about 16 inches I think? I changed the lamp and stopped using uvb (advice was to stop and change over to supplements until sorted, and until set up is better).

That was about 8 months ago.
I haven't used uvb since and supplement him with multivitamins and D3+, as well as natural light when possible.

However, one of his eyes never appeared to fully recover and looks swollen. Sometimes it looks fine but other times not. He has no problems basking anymore, and doesn't keep them permanently shut like he did before, but does have one regurarly shut when resting (he likes to rest a lot).

One eye looks perfectly normal, and the other looks red and swollen. As mentioned, never ever had any crust, discharge, clicking when breathing, etc.

Also had no changes in mood, appetite, pooping, or any other behaviour.

Should I be concerned?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Linggang
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: Eye problems

Postby Linggang » Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:06 pm

This is the normal eye for comparison.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Vendettea
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Vendettea » Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:22 pm

I'm having the same sort of problem, minus the redness and swelling. Let's hope we get some replies!
mb606587
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby mb606587 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:03 am

Ocular issues can be fairly common in reptiles. Eye infections, foreign bodies, to simple irritation can lead to these things. If you're able, try having a vet look at it and see if prescription medication is required. If not, there are over the counter medicated eye rinses formulated specifically for reptiles to combat redness and puffy eyes.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”