Eastern Not Eating + Less Friendly

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
King Julien
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Eastern Not Eating + Less Friendly

Postby King Julien » Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:24 pm

My (adult) Eastern usually eats twice a week but seems to not be eating now unless hand fed/doesn't seem to be eating as much and also isn't as friendly anymore. I havnt changed my routine with king j but now when approached will slowly back away into a corner and will hiss when picked up (but is calm once being held). Previously king j would happily allow me to pick em up and would eat all his food and would only back away if a door slammed or a loud noise occured.
I live in th southern hemisphere so it's coming to the end of summer. The cage temps are all normal so brumation shouldn't be starting. I've heard breeding season is in spring so it shouldn't be that either. Any thoughts on this behaviour?

P.S I don't 100% know if my skink is male or female but from some observations I assume female (body size, head shape, tale shape, eye colour, etc)
rixusaku
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: Eastern Not Eating + Less Friendly

Postby rixusaku » Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:23 am

I think breeding season is actually in the winter so that when the babies are born it's summer out, so breeding season should actually be coming to an end here soon I think. It's like this for northerns, I'm going to assume easterns are on the same schedule.

I know my bluey is about to shed here real soon. He doesnt like to be handled as much during that time, a lot of times not at all, and he eats less too. He hides more and doesn't bask as much as well. His scales are less shiny and a lot more dull. I dont think skinks have the exact same schedule for sheds (beginning of the month vs. the middle or end), but they do shed once every month. Your skink could be getting close to shedding? It sounds like they're having typical behaviors shown during shedding.
| Noodle | Male | 3 years | Northern |
| My Care Experience: Since January 2021 |
King Julien
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: Eastern Not Eating + Less Friendly

Postby King Julien » Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:13 am

rixusaku wrote:
I know my bluey is about to shed here real soon. He doesnt like to be handled as much during that time, a lot of times not at all, and he eats less too. He hides more and doesn't bask as much as well. His scales are less shiny and a lot more dull. I dont think skinks have the exact same schedule for sheds (beginning of the month vs. the middle or end), but they do shed once every month. Your skink could be getting close to shedding? It sounds like they're having typical behaviors shown during shedding.

Yes that does seem right, I've noticed the scales appearing more dull. I've had my skink for a few months now (around oct 18ish to present) first shed was oct 22, second was on the 7th of Jan so it seems a bit early for the next shed. I'll check up on em to see of any other signs of shed thanks for your help!

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”