Help!! With Blue Tongue Mouth Sore???

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Breadlord
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Help!! With Blue Tongue Mouth Sore???

Postby Breadlord » Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:14 pm

Hey all,

I'm not sure where exactly to post this.

I recently noticed a mark on my 2.5 year old blue tongued skinks upper front lip after he came out of hiding and shed.
At first it looked like a crescent mark, and may have darkened into a more discolored purplish tone. It seems to be indented compared to his other scales.

Ive included a few photo in a shared drive folder as well as one I took today (the first pick) where it almost looks like a layer of something is coming off of it. A scab maybe?
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1RMnvzmBZxDRV3umgavgfyOENJDpgRac8?usp=sharing

Either way i'm worried an not sure if it's getting better or worse. I cant tell if its a wound or something else, if he bonked his nose on something and scraped it up, or if this is some sort of mouth scale rott/bacterial infection.

The vet in my area is pricey so I wanted to see if anyone online had seen anything similar before going to the vet.

Please let me know if you have any information or advise on this.
Thanks!!
IvanDanko
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: Help!! With Blue Tongue Mouth Sore???

Postby IvanDanko » Thu Jan 28, 2021 4:40 pm

Hi Breadlord,

That definitely looks like a scale has been torn off. Skinks can be quite vigorous when rubbing themselves against rough surfaces during shed, and it looks like your friend may have gone a little hard. Alternatively, are there any potentially sharp surfaces your skink could have cut its face on? I would monitor it closely - main concern being keeping the wound clean (research reptile safe antiseptics, im not too sure what you could apply). I would imagine given time if it occurred during shed it will recover, im sure its not the first time this has happened to a skink and wont be the last. If it shows any signs of increased redness, swelling or mucus then definitely take your skink to a vet, but if you can keep the wound clean this shouldn't be an issue. Good luck. :thumbs:
1.0.0 Lowland Blotched (Tiliqua Nigrolutea) - Peanut

"There's nothing that a green grenade can't fix"
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN
Your Facebook name: Janella Poch

Postby Janella » Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:31 pm

It does look like the scale was scraped off. I would keep an eye on it, apply a triple antibiotic ointment to it, and go from there. If it gets worse then seek a vet. I have confidence it should heal just fine though as long as your skink doesn't rub it again on something.
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Fri Jan 29, 2021 6:06 am

Common occurrence. A little peroxide on a q tip will take care of it if you are worried about infection.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”