Active/Sedentary Behaviours and Sleeping Patterns in the BTS

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
IvanDanko
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Active/Sedentary Behaviours and Sleeping Patterns in the BTS

Postby IvanDanko » Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:12 pm

Hi all,

I wanted to have a discussion relating to several observed behaviours of the BTS - hoping experienced members would like to share any subsequent variances in this behaviour, and the possible factors that could play a role in influencing variations of this behaviour.

Duration of Activity

What do you typically observe as the duration of "active" behaviour amongst your skinks?

I have observed closely coming up to my skinks first year in February the amount of time she spends in different activity modes over the past 10 months:

Active - Regular movement and exploration around enclosure, responding to stimuli, greeting at enclosure door/interest in interaction/exploring outside of enclosure, active thermoregulation (warming and cooling), feeding/drinking, shedding

4-5 hours per day, the longest observed active interval being ~6 hours. Typically appearing to bask once the lamps activate at around 7.15am. (Note I opted to maintain the level of heat across her first winter instead of allowing brumation)
(Heating/Day cycle 7.15am-7pm)

On feeding days, and within the first 3 months active intervals could be as little as 3-4 hours per day. Typically once she has completed feeding, she will burrow and enter a sleeping phase within 1 hour. Note that handling will often have minimal influence (+- 30 mins) on extending active hours, with strongly established sleeping patterns (typically from 12-1pm). If I choose to have a handling time at/past established sleeping times, she will retreat to a sleeping phase immediately upon returning to the enclosure, typically with a short bask (~5-10 minutes).

Sedentary - Hiding with active observation i.e. head exposed out of hide, basking/napping whilst basking, inactive thermoregulation (warming phase only)

1-2 hours per day. Upon first bringing her home she spent more time in this phase as she was adjusting to a new environment. Cold snaps during winter could trigger more time in this phase of behaviour.

Sleeping - Withdrawing to hide + burrowing under substrate to sleep

19-20 hours per phase. This sleeping pattern has remained very consistent. I have not observed any nocturnal behaviour.

---

Taking the above into consideration, how does this compare to your experiences?

In cases of keepers with multiple skinks, do you find that personality plays a role in the level of activity and the predominance of each phase? Are skinks which are more bold/confident in nature more likely to spend an extended period of time in an active phase as opposed to a more timid skink? (bearing in mind I would consider my skink to be a fairly balanced personality, not timid but not overly bold and has never showed aggression)

Does the environment which skinks are kept play a significant factor? Particularly for keepers in Australia and from compatible climates, do you notice any differences in activity between skinks housed outdoors (pits, etc. - ignoring pauses for brumation) which are naturally regulated vs. those kept in indoor enclosures?

Does communal keeping play a role? Do skinks which are housed together adopt similar activity patterns?

Do the sleeping patterns and activity levels of skinks change as they age? Are baby skinks and sub-adult skinks (below 2-3 years) more likely to have longer sleeping patterns than mature skinks and are there any differences in the levels of sedentary vs. active behaviour you have observed?

Moreover, has there been any observations of nocturnal behaviour within established sleeping patterns of skinks and/or exceptions to patterns typically observed?

---

Cheers in advance :thumbs:
1.0.0 Lowland Blotched (Tiliqua Nigrolutea) - Peanut

"There's nothing that a green grenade can't fix"
mb606587
ADMIN
ADMIN

Re: Active/Sedentary Behaviours and Sleeping Patterns in the BTS

Postby mb606587 » Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:17 pm

For me, personality plays a role in activity level. Some skinks I have rarely hide, others rarely come out. Sometimes humidity levels play a factor. After a misting, some of my shy skinks tend to more readily come out to the more humid air for a brief bask. Baby skinks tend to be more skittish than adults. I do notice the occassional skink out later on at night sfter the lights shut down, but more often than not, they retreat pretty quickly after lights out.
IvanDanko
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby IvanDanko » Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:09 am

mb606587 wrote:For me, personality plays a role in activity level. Some skinks I have rarely hide, others rarely come out. Sometimes humidity levels play a factor. After a misting, some of my shy skinks tend to more readily come out to the more humid air for a brief bask. Baby skinks tend to be more skittish than adults. I do notice the occassional skink out later on at night sfter the lights shut down, but more often than not, they retreat pretty quickly after lights out.

Cheers for the response - the misting leading to increased activity is interesting. Perhaps suggests they zone in the more humid hide areas until they detect an increase in overall ambient humidity or even respond to the trigger of the misting event itself.

I think one of the most common questions I have seen is "is my skink's activity level normal?" so I'm hoping to see a few more responses and different reports to gauge healthy behaviours. Certainly for me, it always amazes me to see my skink sleeping for as long as she does but in the end I guess its personality as you've described, probably along with normal growing processes and maturation (which id imagine requires alot of rest from a physiological standpoint).

ReiDaPanda
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby ReiDaPanda » Thu May 27, 2021 11:00 pm

yeah im not so familiar with skinks and my maruke rise seems to be a shy little thing and she rarely leaves her cave. i mist daily and provide some assortments of food mixes so she won't get fussy and her apatite is normal her substrate is coco fiber dust which to my knowledge is recommended. my question is she just super shy or unwell. the humidity of her tank is often 60 t0 70% and she gets food every other day because she trys to escape if i let her be for longer.
she dose like to explore but i don't let her to much as i own German shepherd (who is really lazy) and 2 cats one who is a malevolent goblin who is real interested in Rise.

i also know that when holding her Rise likes to climb to my shoulders and if i'm wearing a hoodie she loves the hood and i just walk around and sit with her in it for a few hours. also because i live in Colorado which can get cold i don't play with how long her lamp is on so her tank has a warm 70to 80 degree range with a warm side were i leave her food and water and a cooler side where her cave is.

that being said i have had her for about 3 months and the guy i got her from and the vet i took her to say she is about 7 or 8 months old.

as for interesting traits while handling she likes to wander and when trying to hand feed (with a spoon and feeder tongs learned that the hard way) she has a hard time grabing the food and misses nipping me realizing what she bit and seemingly gets embarrassed. any of this normal?
IvanDanko
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby IvanDanko » Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:39 pm

Hi,

In terms of the behaviours you've described sounds around the mark for a healthy young skink. However I wanted to clarify if your warm side temps are indeed 70-80 degrees Fahrenheit? (Up to 26 degrees Celsius?) I'd suggest the air temperature range for the hot side of the enclosure should be atleast between 85-95 degrees Fahrenheit. You may want to cross-check with the specifics for Merauke BTS.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”