BTS Aggressive out of nowhere? Could it have been because of moving?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
cdlove
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2021 7:20 am
Country: USA
Location: TN

BTS Aggressive out of nowhere? Could it have been because of moving?

Postby cdlove » Fri Jan 01, 2021 7:43 am

Hi all,

This is my first time posting, and I am seeking advice on my Irian Jaya Blue Tongue skink. I have had Larry since he was a baby, and he is 3 years old now. He has had some very minor tank aggression before ("huffing" if I am taking him out of his enclosure, but he has never bitten or done anything too scary or serious for me to be afraid to just grab him anyway). However, he has recently turned downright aggressive out of nowhere and I am not sure why. Today, for example, when cleaning off some of his hides/, he was hissing and squirming and darting around like crazy. Then, when I changed his water, when I put the water dish back in the enclosure, that movement made the substrate by his tail move, which triggered him to do a complete 180 jump and a huge hiss like he was ready to bite me. He has never done any of this before in the 3 years I have had him. In the weeks before this, he would allow me to handle him, but was very restless in his tank, he would claw around, try to scale the walls, and looked like he was trying to plot his escape. Now that all of that is stopped he's become really aggressive. He also is barely eating.

He is in a 4'x'2 PVC enclosure with temps at 95F on the warm side and 80F on the cool side. Humidity is at 73%. He has 3 hides and deep enough substrate to be able to dig into. The only thing I can think of is the fact that I have recently moved from coastal California where the weather is always the same, to a place with 4 distinct seasons. Is it possible that something is going on with Larry experiencing his first actual winter, like is he trying to tell me that it's time to brumate?

I would love your advice! Thanks everyone.
User avatar
mb606587
ADMIN
ADMIN
Posts: 1183
Joined: Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:11 pm
Country: USA
Location: Philadelphia

Re: BTS Aggressive out of nowhere? Could it have been because of moving?

Postby mb606587 » Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:25 am

No I think he's telling you he's ready to breed. Male skinks can get a bit restless and ornery when seeking a female during this particular time of year. At 3 he's definitely sexually mature now.
cdlove
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2021 7:20 am
Country: USA
Location: TN

Re: BTS Aggressive out of nowhere? Could it have been because of moving?

Postby cdlove » Fri Jan 01, 2021 12:24 pm

mb606587 wrote:No I think he's telling you he's ready to breed. Male skinks can get a bit restless and ornery when seeking a female during this particular time of year. At 3 he's definitely sexually mature now.


Ok thanks for pointing this out. What do you suggest I do? Or do I just need to wait it out?
User avatar
mb606587
ADMIN
ADMIN
Posts: 1183
Joined: Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:11 pm
Country: USA
Location: Philadelphia

Re: BTS Aggressive out of nowhere? Could it have been because of moving?

Postby mb606587 » Fri Jan 01, 2021 7:50 pm

Wait it out

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 209 guests