Page 1 of 1

UVA and UVB

Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:44 am
by Vindication10
Hi, I've had my skink for over two years. I need to replace my UVA and UVB bulb but since my lizard isn't basking as much since its winter, would it be ok if I waited until Spring? I supplement her food with D3 and calcium. I know there is a lot of back and forth on UVB but I like to provide it for my lizard. Do I need to worry about MBD if I decide to replace it in the Spring?

Re: UVA and UVB

Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:39 am
by mb606587
No worries. Your skink will be just fine without for a few months.

Re: UVA and UVB

Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:16 pm
by Manny
Here is a link to an interesting article ref: uvb radiation for D3 synthesis

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32950659/ (sorry don't know how to do the link thing)

granted it was done on L. Geckos. However the process of synthesis I would believe is the same. Folks can draw their own conclusions. What is nice about this study is that it is a recent study Sep 2020 and that it does mention long term study is required for evaluation of their findings in the first 6 months.

Part of the problem with caring for any type of animal, even when folklore husbandry is eliminated. You can still usually find both ancedotal and scientific literature that will support the opposite ends of what is required for their care.

Oh and I agree with mb. :P

Re: UVA and UVB

Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:08 pm
by ChristianH26
I’ve just noticed this post. Am I doing something wrong in replacing my bulbs only when they blow or do they lose their effectiveness to deliver UVA/UVB over time even without you noticing in which case they’d need regularly replacing ?

Re: UVA and UVB

Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:16 pm
by mb606587
Typically, the bulbs lose effectiveness and need to be replaced at least every 12 months.

Re: UVA and UVB

Posted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:54 am
by ChristianH26
Oh that’s no problem mine never last longer than 6 months anyway. Thanks.