Page 1 of 1

Brumation Help

Posted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:51 pm
by zarbidac
Hello! I have made a post explaining what type of skink I have previously, but since probably no one will remember (I sure wouldn't), I have a northern I got back in late September, he (I made up the gender, have no idea what the actual gender is) is a juvenile and is about 5-6 months old at this point.
He has been hiding in substrate for a week now which makes me think he is brumating. I live in the US and it's getting cold where I'm at in Colorado. He hasn't come up at all for food or anything. I just want to make sure he's okay, but I would hate to try and dig around and bother him if he really is brumating. How long, if ever, should I wait to start trying to find him and make sure he's okay and alive? I worry about him not eating for so long being so young, but I know it's probably fine and normal during brumation.
Also, should I try to put any food out just in case, or wait until he comes out? I doubt it will do anything and just dry up after a couple hours of being out, but I am willing to try if it does anything.
Any help is appreciated. Thank you!

Re: Brumation Help

Posted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:12 pm
by mb606587
I've heard of many cases of younger skinks brumating without issue although I can understand your concern. Keep offering food and water. You can try to pull it out every so often to jump start it, but typically that's ineffective and the skink will go right back to sleep.

Re: Brumation Help

Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:26 am
by splashy07
If your skink chooses to brumate, let him. It is an important part of their life cycle and will prolong their life. I have had northerns and easterns brumate at six months.
You may continue to offer heat, food, water in case he decides to come out. Typically I do not brumate my juveniles the first year, but if they go down I just continue normal care. You are better off not disturbing him. It will only confuse him and cause unnecessary stress