Brumation Help

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
zarbidac
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Brumation Help

Postby zarbidac » Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:51 pm

Hello! I have made a post explaining what type of skink I have previously, but since probably no one will remember (I sure wouldn't), I have a northern I got back in late September, he (I made up the gender, have no idea what the actual gender is) is a juvenile and is about 5-6 months old at this point.
He has been hiding in substrate for a week now which makes me think he is brumating. I live in the US and it's getting cold where I'm at in Colorado. He hasn't come up at all for food or anything. I just want to make sure he's okay, but I would hate to try and dig around and bother him if he really is brumating. How long, if ever, should I wait to start trying to find him and make sure he's okay and alive? I worry about him not eating for so long being so young, but I know it's probably fine and normal during brumation.
Also, should I try to put any food out just in case, or wait until he comes out? I doubt it will do anything and just dry up after a couple hours of being out, but I am willing to try if it does anything.
Any help is appreciated. Thank you!
mb606587
ADMIN
ADMIN

Re: Brumation Help

Postby mb606587 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:12 pm

I've heard of many cases of younger skinks brumating without issue although I can understand your concern. Keep offering food and water. You can try to pull it out every so often to jump start it, but typically that's ineffective and the skink will go right back to sleep.
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Re: Brumation Help

Postby splashy07 » Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:26 am

If your skink chooses to brumate, let him. It is an important part of their life cycle and will prolong their life. I have had northerns and easterns brumate at six months.
You may continue to offer heat, food, water in case he decides to come out. Typically I do not brumate my juveniles the first year, but if they go down I just continue normal care. You are better off not disturbing him. It will only confuse him and cause unnecessary stress

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”