Bleeding in Ears

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
PinkSkink
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Bleeding in Ears

Postby PinkSkink » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:23 pm

Hello everyone,
I'm concerned about what appears to be congealed blood in my skink's ears. He also seems unable to hiss fully and is making slight whistling sounds. I noticed this problem three days ago, but it appeared to mostly clear up so I thought I was overreacting. Unfortunately, it's come back tonight. He doesn't seem too distressed, he's fairly energetic and ate some scrambled eggs yesterday. I'm definitely taking him to the vet tomorrow, I just want to know if this is something I should be immediately concerned about.

I'm attaching two photos of each of my skink's ears. The quality is pretty bad, but you should be able to see the dark spots in his ears where the blood has gathered.

Thank you for your help.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mb606587
ADMIN
ADMIN

Re: Bleeding in Ears

Postby mb606587 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:53 pm

In this case, I think taking your skink to a vet is the right move. Let us know the outcome.
PinkSkink
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby PinkSkink » Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:44 am

When I took him to the vet they couldn't find a conclusive cause, but they thought it might be mites or an ear infection. They've given me medicine for both as an advance measure. My skink still seems otherwise ok, so I'll be seeing what happens with the medication.
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN
Your Facebook name: Janella Poch

Postby Janella » Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:29 pm

I wondered what the outcome would be. I thought perhaps an infection. Either way I am glad you got meds to help. I hope things clear up and no more bleeding. Good luck!

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”