Page 1 of 1
Skink Brumation
Posted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:09 pm
by Vindication10
Hi, my skink Pandora is normally deep into brumation at this time of year, however, Tennessee has been having really odd weather of being hot one week and cold another. I decided to feed her when it was warm last week but I haven't seen her poop. She didn't eat very much and has since gone into brumation on her own. I've given her warm baths but she didn't poop. Should I keep pulling her out of brumation until she poops and once she has, let her go back into brumation? I never put her into it, she does it on her own. Anyone have any advice on how to get her to poop? Should I schedule a vet appointment?
Re: Skink Brumation
Posted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:58 am
by mb606587
I wouldn't stress much. Keep your heat and lights on. Skinks need heat in order to properly digest so if the skink was cold prior to soaking then it's likely it wouldn't defecate. You could put the skink in a smaller tub with a heat lamp over top to warm it for awhile. You wouldn't want basking temperatures but temperatures in the mid 80° range would be ideal. That would be the most effective way to jump start the digestion process. But if not, just keep providing heat in the enclosure as they do come out of brumation from time to time for a drink and quick bask. The problem really exists in this situation when lights and heat are not provided.
Re: Skink Brumation
Posted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:57 am
by Vindication10
mb606587 wrote:I wouldn't stress much. Keep your heat and lights on. Skinks need heat in order to properly digest so if the skink was cold prior to soaking then it's likely it wouldn't defecate. You could put the skink in a smaller tub with a heat lamp over top to warm it for awhile. You wouldn't want basking temperatures but temperatures in the mid 80° range would be ideal. That would be the most effective way to jump start the digestion process. But if not, just keep providing heat in the enclosure as they do come out of brumation from time to time for a drink and quick bask. The problem really exists in this situation when lights and heat are not provided.
Ok, I have been providing her light and waking her up every day to go under the heat lamp. She's not too happy about it but she's always grumpy. I can set up a little area for her tomorrow with a heat lamp and some water to see if she goes. How long should I keep her in the water? Normally I would of turned her light off by now but since she hasn't pooped, I've kept it on and she's been hiding out on the cold side until I wake her up and force her to bask.
Re: Skink Brumation
Posted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:56 am
by mb606587
15 minutes in lukewarm water up to the belly should be sufficient enough time.
Re: Skink Brumation
Posted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:00 pm
by Vindication10
mb606587 wrote:15 minutes in lukewarm water up to the belly should be sufficient enough time.
Ok thank you! So you don't think I need to worry about the potential food rotting in her stomach if I continue to keep her warm? What happens if she doesn't poop? Continue the baths until she does?
Re: Skink Brumation
Posted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:16 pm
by mb606587
I'd give him a few days in a row if necessary to warm up in the morning. If there's anything in him, it'll come out.
Re: Skink Brumation
Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:12 am
by Vindication10
mb606587 wrote:I'd give him a few days in a row if necessary to warm up in the morning. If there's anything in him, it'll come out.
Hi, it's been a few weeks of putting her under the heat lamp and nothing has come out. I fed her a bit a week ago but she didn't eat much. My guess is that since she's not eating a lot, her body is processing all that food and not turning it into waste. I was probably going to do another warm bath today.
Re: Skink Brumation
Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:01 pm
by mb606587
If the skink is still drinking, you can try to add a drop of olive oil to the water. It's been said to be a natural laxative. Is there a chance the skink did poop and it went unnoticed in the substrate as so often is the case? To be perfectly honest, I've never heard of a personal case where heat and light is provided and complications arise due to the skink not defecating.