Halmahera Vivaria

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
ChristianH26
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Halmahera Vivaria

Postby ChristianH26 » Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:50 am

Hi all just got a question. It’s become apparent to me that wooden vivariums are not capable of maintaining structural integrity with high humidity levels also they’re very susceptible to mould. Can anybody recommend a suitably sized-for a skink- glass vivarium that they use? Also another quick question. What does everyone do with their skinks when they go away on holiday? Thanks. :)
mb606587
ADMIN
ADMIN

Re: Halmahera Vivaria

Postby mb606587 » Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:58 am

If you use proper materials and take the time to seal, wood can be used. The problem is most people go for the cheaper stuff (melamine and MDF). An easy way to seal off the floor is to do exactly how we do our bathrooms. Apply a layer of subfloor waterproof membrane (look for Schluter rolls at most hardware stores) and then tile over. I've done this with my Monkey Tail skink enclosures.
mb606587
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby mb606587 » Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:20 am

Since you are in the UK, it's hard for me personally to recommend brands as I'm not sure what's available to you. The Exo Terra front opening glass enclosures work better as there is less ventilation and easier to maintain humidity. Many people swear by PVC enclosures as the best option.

Any time I've gone on vacation, I've left my skinks alone. Feed them a day before you leave and leave a large bowl of water and they should be fine for at least a week. Any longer and have somebody check in on them to refill water and feed, but a healthy adult can go weeks without food without issue. Lights and heat on a timer, assuming conditions are reasonably comfortable in case of a failure.
ChristianH26
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby ChristianH26 » Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:11 pm

Thanks for replying. I think that’s the problem it is an MDF enclosure and the problem seems to be that the humidity has made it swell in such a way that the black coating sort of thing has started to be pushed off exposing bare mdf which presents mould a perfect place to grow. The exact same thing happened to the last viv and this one is higher quality which is slightly annoying but I’ll definitely look at those glass enclosures thank you. I wouldn’t have thought about leaving them be that’s a good point. My only concern would be if I got home there may be a couple of number 2s. Would this harm them in any way to have these in the tank for an extended period of time?
mb606587
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby mb606587 » Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:30 pm

No wouldn't harm him. Ideally it'll go before you leave and won't produce much if not eating, but even if so, not a big deal.
ChristianH26
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby ChristianH26 » Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:37 pm

Okay sounds good thank you :)

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”