Shingleback Care Manual

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
GingerNotANinja
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Shingleback Care Manual

Postby GingerNotANinja » Fri Nov 06, 2020 7:16 pm

Hi all,

so I'm an Aussie with some pet Shinglebacks and found this place, but I noticed there is no Shingleback care guide in that section https://www.bluetongueskinks.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=71

I thought I would share the care guide I've found unbelievably helpful, and very extensive http://nswfmpa.org/Husbandry%20Manuals/Published%20Manuals/Reptilia/Shingleback%20Lizard.pdf, and just in case for some reason you can't view it through the URL or it gets moved, I've attached the PDF. Keep in mind it's over 10 years old, but I've found very accurate in its information. It's also worth noting that Shingleback care is a bit different to other Blue Tongue care, for example, adult Shinglebacks are 90% Herbivore, with only 10% of their diet being protein/meat, they are also diurnal and require UV lights to remain healthy, or over 4 hours of natural sunlight per week.

Hopefully, this is helpful for those keeping or wanting to keep these awesome little dino faces
splashy07

Re: Shingleback Care Manual

Postby splashy07 » Mon Nov 09, 2020 6:08 am

I take it this is not available in book form? Wish it was!
GingerNotANinja
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby GingerNotANinja » Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:17 am

it isn't, it seems to have been created by a university student/staff member, and I have found about 10 others for other Aussie reptile species written at around the same time
splashy07

Postby splashy07 » Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:33 am

I find so little on their care out there I pretty much draw my own conclusions by the behavior of my own. One thing I noted I thought quite odd is that mine do not like the normal fare of fruits and vegetables. With the exception of bananas, I cannot get them interested in anything of the sort. They don't even look at greens. (I keep Aspera)
I have been using rep cal beardie pellets mixed with banana or pangea powder with success. They also love tinned cat food and chicken. I have five adults an a juvenile, all with the same picky eating habits. My youngster went through a phase where she wanted nothing but insects for about a month, then no interest at all. She does love the pangea that I'll make for her in a heavier consistency than that for my geckos. I've also observed that they'll eat a rather large portion then disappear for a few days. I offer food and water daily regardless, but most times leftovers go to my other skinks. For their heat and lighting I use powersun HID lights. Substrate is a mixture of aspen chips and wheat pellets. They all seem very happy and well, and one pair is acting as if in season right now so I'll keep my fingers crossed for that!

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”