Skink hasn't eaten in 8 weeks, when should I worry?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Lydia693
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Skink hasn't eaten in 8 weeks, when should I worry?

Postby Lydia693 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:40 am

Hi everyone,

My indo blue tongue skink hasn't eaten properly now for 8 weeks. It started when we moved house, since then he has eaten the tiniest of morsels. And he hasn't eaten anything for the last 4 weeks at all.
He's also got a new cage and uv light 2 weeks ago.
I thought it was jsut the changes but now I'm getting concerned, especially as he turned his nose up at snails! His weight hasn't dropped and he's still active.
I keep offering him food about twice a week but he isn't interested.
When should I worry? Is he just having a tantrum to all the changes.

Thanks
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN
Your Facebook name: Janella Poch

Re: Skink hasn't eaten in 8 weeks, when should I worry?

Postby Janella » Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:44 pm

So I would have him checked out. If it has been 8 weeks he would have had time to adjust to his new enclosure and surroundings. Is there anything in the new home that could cause him stress? What are your temps and humidity? If these are correct he won't eat. When in doubt get him checked out.
kayla990
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Postby kayla990 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:15 am

I was going to ask the same question - we're experiencing a very similar situation! It's been roughly 5-6 weeks of not eating normally (if at all, even when offered favourites!) but our guy is also still very active.

While we'll also get a in-person vet check if things don't change, thought I'd add that maybe we're seeing a seasonal thing. Since Netherlands and England have very similar temperatures through the year, I'm starting to suspect that it could be a sign of a breeding season.

Some observations to see if you're finding a similar trend:
- Way more active then normal.
- Wanting more interaction and totally ignores food (usually ends up walking through it to check out something else. Trying to place the dish directly in front of his face just results him climbing on top of it, doesn't even bother trying to smell/try it).
- Started to climb up the glass to get attention (something we rarely saw before) along with digging next to the glass of the vivarium
- Sperm plugs are being dropped daily (is yours also a confirmed male?).
- I suspect ours has just reached an age where he's reached maturity (3 years) and the weather change has triggered searching for a mate
- Prior to this, always been interested in food
- Similarly, we changed his UV light (about 2 weeks into when he wasn't eating) - as the previous one broke

We already contacted a vet, they didn't seem too concerned (as we sent over detailed information about our setup) - but they suggested sending over a fecal sample; so that we don't need to add stress travelling in the cold. But - similar to your situation, we're not finding any samples as he's simply not eating! If there are any signs of lethargy, then we'll be booking a vet visit asap.

Of course, I'm not an expert with Bluey's as it's our first - and maybe there's still something to do with you moving...but considering the similar timing - does make me wonder about the season!
- Hons. Degree Animal Management -4 years volunteer in a Zoo -10 years volunteer in animal shelters -Enclosure enthusiast
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby Janella » Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:05 am

You know absolutely could be a seasonal thing. I apologise for not looking at where you guys are from.
kayla990
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Postby kayla990 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:48 am

No worries! It could also be unrelated to the weather change, so similar to Lydia - will keep close watch in the mean time!

A quick question: for those who have Indos and Halmaheras - how long are they in the breeding season for (roughly)? It may give an insight as to how long the non-eating could last, and when it's time to book a vet appointment. The weather seems to be very constant on the Halmahera Islands (not sure if the weather is as constant for Indo's?) so I'm curious if they have the typical 'breeding seasons' as the other sub-species.
- Hons. Degree Animal Management -4 years volunteer in a Zoo -10 years volunteer in animal shelters -Enclosure enthusiast
kayla990
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Postby kayla990 » Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:52 am

Just to update (in case it's useful for someone in the future :D ) our little guy has started eating again (about 6 and half week mark). Not been seeing the daily sperm plugs - so I would still presume it was the start of a breeding season. Started eating close to his next shedding cycle.

Hope you've had success too Lydia!
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby Janella » Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:32 pm

I sure do hope it was just hormones. My guy is doing a similar thing. It is breeding time for him, but he doesn't nearly go as long with out eating.
Lydia693
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Lydia693 » Mon Dec 07, 2020 1:21 pm

kayla990 wrote:I was going to ask the same question - we're experiencing a very similar situation! It's been roughly 5-6 weeks of not eating normally (if at all, even when offered favourites!) but our guy is also still very active.

While we'll also get a in-person vet check if things don't change, thought I'd add that maybe we're seeing a seasonal thing. Since Netherlands and England have very similar temperatures through the year, I'm starting to suspect that it could be a sign of a breeding season.

Some observations to see if you're finding a similar trend:
- Way more active then normal.
- Wanting more interaction and totally ignores food (usually ends up walking through it to check out something else. Trying to place the dish directly in front of his face just results him climbing on top of it, doesn't even bother trying to smell/try it).
- Started to climb up the glass to get attention (something we rarely saw before) along with digging next to the glass of the vivarium
- Sperm plugs are being dropped daily (is yours also a confirmed male?).
- I suspect ours has just reached an age where he's reached maturity (3 years) and the weather change has triggered searching for a mate
- Prior to this, always been interested in food
- Similarly, we changed his UV light (about 2 weeks into when he wasn't eating) - as the previous one broke

We already contacted a vet, they didn't seem too concerned (as we sent over detailed information about our setup) - but they suggested sending over a fecal sample; so that we don't need to add stress travelling in the cold. But - similar to your situation, we're not finding any samples as he's simply not eating! If there are any signs of lethargy, then we'll be booking a vet visit asap.

Of course, I'm not an expert with Bluey's as it's our first - and maybe there's still something to do with you moving...but considering the similar timing - does make me wonder about the season!

Sorry I totally forgot I'd posted on here and it didn't send me any sort of notification!

But mine still hasn't eaten properly but he's taken a few snails here and there and a fuzzy mouse. But won't eat anything in his bowl.
I've weighed him weekly and he's still 500g so no change at all.
Reading this sounds just like mine too.
He drops sperm plugs everyday even now he's still doing it.
Hes very active, and just walks over his food like you said.
Mine is also digging next to the glass!

I did think it could be a breeding thing. His temps and humidity haven't changed so that's all I can think!

Thansk for your help!
Lydia693
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Lydia693 » Mon Dec 07, 2020 1:23 pm

Janella wrote:I sure do hope it was just hormones. My guy is doing a similar thing. It is breeding time for him, but he doesn't nearly go as long with out eating.

Sorry I didn't get a notification that someone had answered but thanks for your help.

He still isn't eating properly but I've checked his weight weekly and he's eaten bits here and there so at least not nothing.

I believe it seems like a breeding season thing.

Thanks!
Julz1277
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Julz1277 » Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:27 pm

I am also in the same spot. We did have a custom built home for her which is much bigger, she was eating fine for awhile in her new home, and then just one day she stopped. I have a thermometer to keep track of the temp, I spray down the tank about once a week to keep the humidity where it needs to be. She does come out and move around some and she is drinking but she turns away from any type of food I try and give her. She's been like this for about 2-3 weeks. I am able to give her worms and she will eat those but that is the only thing she will eat. I feel like she seems sad. Should I be worried?? Please help Sydney. Her hopeful mom Julie from Nebraska.
mb606587
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby mb606587 » Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:21 pm

Sounds typical of a brumating skink. Some skinks will go months without eating throughout the winter months. It's natural and as long as she appears outwardly healthy, leave her be.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”