Heat mat

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
ChristianH26
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 105
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:33 pm
Country: Uk
Location: Liverpool

Heat mat

Postby ChristianH26 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:17 pm

Hi. I’ve got a swell reptiles heat mat underneath a 4 x 2 x 2 viv. I’m just curious as I don’t fancy the thing exploding/melting anything especially Stevie, are these heat mats able to be placed under the viv obviously under a relatively large amount of force with the tank being on top of it ? I’d imagined they could be as this one didn’t come with an adhesive side as ones I’ve purchased in the past have. Thanks. :)
Manny
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 91
Joined: Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:25 am
Country: Canada
Location: Newfoundland

Re: Heat mat

Postby Manny » Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:10 pm

While not all heat mats are created equal. Any enclosure that sits directly on top of one is problematic. If you look at some of the more modern or enclosures built specifically to have heat mats under them they are slightly raised to allow airflow under them reducing a build up of heat so that they don't overheat. You can get around this by building or using some items to raise the bottom off it's stand to allow airflow underneath. Just be aware of the amount of weight pushing down on the floor from the substrate and decor. If it is one of the newer pvc enclosures. Double check the companies website. Many of them make an item called something along the line of a "riser". The intention of this is for stacking cages upon each other and allowing airflow between the bottom and top of the two cages. However it could easily be placed underneath a stand alone enclosure thereby providing the needed airflow.

Hope this is helpful to you. :)
ChristianH26
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 105
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:33 pm
Country: Uk
Location: Liverpool

Re: Heat mat

Postby ChristianH26 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:50 am

Yes unfortunately this was my concern. I think I have some wood blocks I can place under the viv to raise it slightly. Thanks for the advice :)
Manny
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 91
Joined: Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:25 am
Country: Canada
Location: Newfoundland

Re: Heat mat

Postby Manny » Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:47 am

Your most welcome! Just keep in mind, the amount of weight from the substrate/decor when you raise that bottom.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 259 guests