Page 1 of 1

Subspecies Clarification

Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:07 pm
by catmantiger
Hello!

I just recently got a BTS which I believe is a Halmahera and I just want to confirm because of their difference in humidity needs compared to the other subspecies. He/she looks like one. Everywhere I see is saying the main difference between other Indonesian, is that they have a black/white belly which mine has. But I just want to confirm! And if not, can you maybe point at what defines it as a different subspecies?


117180220_2744020209258295_6784448702333457390_n.jpg


Untitled.jpg


117385081_3053211934806275_2232899049162246529_n.jpg


117584614_234450947709785_17974707848952612_n.jpg

Re: Subspecies Clarification

Posted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:04 am
by splashy07
Yes, you are correct.

Re: Subspecies Clarification

Posted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:20 am
by mb606587
Halmaheras actually aren't a separate defined subspecies. Currently they are scientifically classified as Indonesian skinks (Tiliqua gigas gigas) with a unique look due to regional locality nuances. Similar to how some Easterns look different based on where they're found in Australia.