Page 1 of 1
New food question
Posted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:32 am
by Skinkymama
Hi everyone, I'm new to this site and I apologise if I posted this in the wrong spot. I'm also new at being a skink mama! My question has to do with a new dog food called Tiki Dog Meaty high protein( wet food). I seen it at my local pet shop and checked it out. It says it's grain free and has 14% protein, which for me is the highest amount I've seen in such a small size (canned size). I attached a picture of the nutritional facts. The nutrition is for Chicken and egg in broth.
Has anyone tried this for their skinks? Do you think the quality is great? Would it work well as their main diet?
Thank you!
Re: New food question
Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:07 am
by OlitheHalmahera
I don't know about that brand specifically but high protein isn't necessarily a good thing for skinks.
They don't just expell excess protein like we do it stays and turn into fat.
I did use wet cat food until my skink was over a year since it has high protein and they need a lot more while small.
So if your skink is under a year I whould go for hifh protein but if he/she is older than that I whould avoid or at least keep a very good eye on his/hers wieght.
Do keep in mind that you need to ad veg, a little bit of fruit, vitamins and calcium to a diet with wet dog food.
Re: New food question
Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:42 am
by Skinkymama
Thanks for the reply. I have 2 around 3 months old so based on what you said I'll give them high protein since they're under a year. I'll make sure to watch his weight as well. I try to always add veg to their meals, and fruit for treat a few times a week.