Page 1 of 1

Yosemite Skink

Posted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:44 pm
by ChristianH26
Hi all just looking for maybe a bit of guidance. My indo (Halmahera) bluey which I’m almost certain is a male is quite possibly the angriest creature I have ever met and has been ever since we’ve had him from about 10 months ago. Does anybody have any sort of practical tips to calm Stevie down or get him accustomed to being handled because even in short spaces of time for handling he still seems to hate it/me. Thanks. :)

Re: Yosemite Skink

Posted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:53 pm
by Janella
So unfortunately some skinks just don't like to be handled. Halmahera especially are known for their temperament being bad. Some are good, but not all. What have you been trying? Trying sitting next to the enclosure and just talking to it. Try offering really tasty treats. Try adding a sock or towel with your scent. Try to come from the side instead of over the top when handling. There is lots of threads on the this subject if you search the forum.

Re: Yosemite Skink

Posted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:59 am
by ChristianH26
I’ve tried talking to him and short handling times also offering fruit to him but not too much of course. I also try my best not to pick him up from the top as I know this can scare him. The scented towel/sock sounds like a good idea I might try that thank you :)