BTS prolapse - Advice please

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Monique & Betty
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:47 pm
Your Facebook name: Monique Delanoue
Country: Australia
Location: qld

BTS prolapse - Advice please

Postby Monique & Betty » Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:53 pm

My BTS has a mild prolapse, he has been to the vet and been treated with enrotril and meloxicam apex. The first vet visit he had his vent flushed out with saline and the biggest sperm plug, that looked like an odd ball, I’ve ever seen came out! Feeling like that may have been the issue with the prolapse not correcting itself, the vet has advised me to wait on a surgery. I have gone back to the vet as the issue is still ongoing, and a look to his poop has found some intestinal parasites- so now he’s had a treatment of panacur and also flagyl which I have to give over another two weeks - I’m worried the area is red and has bled a small amount from rubbing - I’ve had my special boy for over twenty years, so sedation at his age is terrifying to me, the vet also seems wary to sedate and seems like he wants to do anything but that - has anyone got senior lizards who have had sedation? Do you feel the vet should do the surgery ASAP? Any other advice on care or things to try?

He’s general behaviour hasn’t changed
He’s still eating and pooping fine even though it’s colder here this time of year (qld Australia )
There is a female skink here, I have a male and female that are seperate, but has this cause breeding frustration?, I have moved her enclosure further away now.
Vet is encouraging feeding /bathing and keeping the area moist and the substrate to be a clean cotton cloth

Any advice from others who have gone though similar issues would be appreciated

The vet still doesn’t believe I’ve had Betty since 1998
Betty is a boy - I know it confuses everyone
I’m scared - be kind
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN
Posts: 1854
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:52 am
Your Facebook name: Janella Poch
Country:
Location: Petersburg, Mi

Re: BTS prolapse - Advice please

Postby Janella » Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:44 pm

:thumbs: Hi there and I am sorry to here about Betty's situation. Prolapses are never fun in any species. I have personally never dealt with one with my reptiles, but I work for a vet and have seen several. I honestly would wait and see what happens. Your vet sounds like they are doing everything correctly and at your reptiles age, the anesthesia could be very tricky. I would just keep in contact with your vet if you have any further concerns. That's what they are their for. Also koodos for having Betty for so long! You must be doing everything right :thumbs:
Monique & Betty
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:47 pm
Your Facebook name: Monique Delanoue
Country: Australia
Location: qld

Re: BTS prolapse - Advice please

Postby Monique & Betty » Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:25 pm

I just want to say thank you! Thanks for having a wonderful collection of information and photos to help me make the decisions for treatment for Betty. Janella thank you for your kind words and advice. After much research and talking to my local vet, he admitted he was not confident enough to do the surgery, so after many recommendations to make the long drive to the Brisbane exotic pet specialists to see dr josh. Let me just say this man is amazing, he explained many options, sedation types and talked to me at great length till I was sure we had made the right decision. The reinsertion, three stitches and recovery took less that three hours. I got to watch and ask questions during the whole surgery!!! It was terrifying but I also was reassured all the way that vitals were good and the quick acting reversal for the sedation had Betty awake in minutes. It has been about 4 weeks and he is eating, pooping and all round looking great! I guess my advice to others is find the experts ask loads of questions and keep educating yourself, I have learnt so much and am so greatful for all the advice and support of wildlife rescuers and exotic pet owners (and google) +
Betty says hello!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN
Posts: 1854
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:52 am
Your Facebook name: Janella Poch
Country:
Location: Petersburg, Mi

Re: BTS prolapse - Advice please

Postby Janella » Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:33 pm

Awe this warms my heart. I am so happy to hear that Betty is doing so much better. Congratulations. I have heard of Brisbane. Good vets!
Manny
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 91
Joined: Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:25 am
Country: Canada
Location: Newfoundland

Re: BTS prolapse - Advice please

Postby Manny » Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:58 am

Very happy things worked out well for Betty. Absolutely love the large picture on the right. It is the type of picture that needs to be seen more, by people who say they don't understand folks who enjoy reptiles as pets.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 184 guests