Pink Scales

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
bepbep
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Pink Scales

Postby bepbep » Thu May 28, 2020 4:59 pm

My ~4.5 month old baby merauke just had a complete shed yesterday and this morning I noticed that he had a few pink spots on him. Is this scale rot? Or possibly just irritation from him rubbing against things in his enclosure to remove shed?

Thanks for your help!!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mb606587
ADMIN
ADMIN

Re: Pink Scales

Postby mb606587 » Thu May 28, 2020 6:31 pm

Looks like irritation. Chances are it clears by next shed but keep an eye on it. Also your skink is Irian Jaya, not Merauke. Fortunately, same care.
bepbep
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby bepbep » Thu May 28, 2020 8:01 pm

mb606587 wrote:Looks like irritation. Chances are it clears by next shed but keep an eye on it. Also your skink is Irian Jaya, not Merauke. Fortunately, same care.

Thank you so much for telling me that!! The guy I bought him from said that he was a merauke, but I guess he was mistaken. May I ask how you were able to determine the subspecies of my little guy? Even after doing a lot of research, I am still unable to determine the differences between Indonesian species.
mb606587
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby mb606587 » Thu May 28, 2020 9:05 pm

The pattern on the neck is typical of Irian Jaya. Meraukes will have a single prominent vertical stripe while Irian Jayas most often have three smaller stripes. I also looked back at another picture you posted where the banding could be seen to confirm. Unfortunately, most pet shops and expo vendors really have no idea what type of skink is being sold.
bepbep
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby bepbep » Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:07 pm

Okay, thank you so much for your help!!!
hailz10
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Scale rot??

Postby hailz10 » Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:08 am

hi guys I’m new at skink care I have had mine for about 6 ish months and I’m not sure
If this is scale rot I’m quite concerned I would appreciate any help let me know if you need better photo sorry im not good at photos
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
hailz10
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: Scale rot??

Postby hailz10 » Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:12 am

[quote="hailz10"]hi guys I’m new at skink care I have had mine for about 6 ish months and I’m not sure
If this is scale rot I’m quite concerned I would appreciate any help let me know if you need better photo sorry im not good at photos might not be Albert to se it. . It’s one scale where it’s elbow right behind the elbow hope u find it..
mb606587
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby mb606587 » Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:21 am

I see nothing that would cause me any concern.
hailz10
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby hailz10 » Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:54 pm

If you say sooo
bartholemew
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby bartholemew » Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:09 pm

my lizard came out of shed and I found this scale that looks like its bleeding underneath she Is coming up 7 months and the humidity and temp have been fine I think it may be scale rot but want to make sure also see if it would be worth a trip to the vets. it's only this one scale right now too. thanks
IMG_3926.jpg

IMG_3927.jpg

IMG_3929.jpg

IMG_3930.jpg

:D

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”