blue tounge skink shed

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
lexany0177
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

blue tounge skink shed

Postby lexany0177 » Thu May 21, 2020 8:45 am

So i just got my northern about a week ago and he's shedding but he's had the same shed stuck to his tail and i want to help him take it off but he still isn't comfortable with handling and gets stressed so i haven't tried to handle him should i just wait and see or is it better to intervene and help him? and help would be appreciated.
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN
Your Facebook name: Janella Poch

Re: blue tounge skink shed

Postby Janella » Thu May 21, 2020 5:56 pm

What is your temps and humidity? You could offer a humid hide to see if that helps.
lexany0177
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby lexany0177 » Sat May 23, 2020 3:00 pm

Janella wrote:What is your temps and humidity? You could offer a humid hide to see if that helps.

temp is in the 90's and i just mixed in cypress mulch and water to make it damp on his humid hide but he has only gone in there a few times he prefers his cave hide.
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby Janella » Sat May 23, 2020 4:45 pm

So the temp should be closer to 100 and if he won't go in the humid hide, then I would soak him for about 20 minutes each day to help with the stuck shed. You can also make a humid hide in his cave.
lexany0177
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby lexany0177 » Sat May 23, 2020 9:35 pm

Janella wrote:So the temp should be closer to 100 and if he won't go in the humid hide, then I would soak him for about 20 minutes each day to help with the stuck shed. You can also make a humid hide in his cave.

ok thank you i just didnt know if i should be handling cause he still seems be very shy and scared
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby Janella » Sun May 24, 2020 3:40 am

It is a hard choice to make. Yes, you just got him, but with the stuck shed, you need to help. If the humid hides don't work, then you need to step in and help.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”