Raw dog food?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Lydia693
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Raw dog food?

Postby Lydia693 » Wed May 13, 2020 8:09 am

Hi everyone,

Ive jsut got my first blue tongue skink after keeping other reptiles for a long time and wanting one for years!

I am very conflicted on the advice concerning cooked or raw meat. I have been told by a friend that she fed hers a raw diet, but looking at forums and websites it seems the meat should be cooked.

However, I have bought some frozen raw chicken and rabbit dog food, would this be OK as it is made to be eaten raw by dogs?

Thanks in advance!
Stixas
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: Raw dog food?

Postby Stixas » Thu May 14, 2020 2:01 am

Thats fine. In fact, many many many breeders and keepers of BTS feed them cat and dogfood. Cat in the first year and dog after. Just make sure it contains plenty of vegies and whole meat parts like livers and bones etc.
A high quality grain-free dog/catfood is a very good diet for them. Also switch the type and/or brand every week to keep it interesting to them. Theres plenty of brands around to find and types of contents like turkey, duck, rabbit, etc etc. Just dont get the fish ones as fish isnt so good for them as far as I know.

Also make sure its canned wet food. Not the dry dog/cat food of course.
splashy07

Re: Raw dog food?

Postby splashy07 » Thu May 14, 2020 8:46 am

Dry dog/cat food is fine also. Have been using it for years. In nature, bluetongues eat roadkill and plenty of meat out there that no one cooks for them. Raw or cooked is just fine. When mine get a little picky a piece of raw chicken gets them right back on track. Just be careful of seasonings and whatnot, make sure there is no salt or seasonings on any meat you give them. I'm sure they wouldn't encounter that product in the wild and their systems may not be so equipped.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”