Diet percentages in weight or volume?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Skoll_21
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Diet percentages in weight or volume?

Postby Skoll_21 » Thu May 07, 2020 1:51 pm

Hi guys! I know the diet should consist of around 50% veggies, 40% meat and 10% fruit but I haven't seen anywhere specified if these are percentages in weight or volume. Does anyone know? Because it makes quite a difference...

I've been going by volume % (just eyeballing it) but I'm now worried I maybe haven't been feeding enough veggies to my bluey.

Bonus: photo of my girl (I think) Lagi trying to become a croissant.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mb606587
ADMIN
ADMIN

Re: Diet percentages in weight or volume?

Postby mb606587 » Thu May 07, 2020 2:39 pm

I've been feeding a spoonful of dog food with three green beans once a week for 20 years. Granted my dog food has multiple vegetables listed in the ingredients. I rarely, if ever, feed fruit. Some prominent breeders don't even feed vegetables. I wouldn't worry too much. Offering a diet higher in vegetables or simply cutting back portions is typically an effective diet for an overweight skink.
Skoll_21
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: Diet percentages in weight or volume?

Postby Skoll_21 » Thu May 07, 2020 3:28 pm

mb606587 wrote:I've been feeding a spoonful of dog food with three green beans once a week for 20 years. Granted my dog food has multiple vegetables listed in the ingredients. I rarely, if ever, feed fruit. Some prominent breeders don't even feed vegetables. I wouldn't worry too much. Offering a diet higher in vegetables or simply cutting back portions is typically an effective diet for an overweight skink.

Thanks! Maybe she looks a bit chunky in the photo because of her pose but she's actually quite lean (but a healthy weight I believe), hahah.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”