Some temperature verification

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Menidia
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Some temperature verification

Postby Menidia » Tue May 05, 2020 12:56 pm

I was wondering if I could get some verification on if these temperatures are good for a northern? I am using an Arcadia heat projector on thermostat set for 94 degrees. When the skink is on the slate the temp gun reads 96.6, the slate itself is 98.6, and there’s an elevated cork bark piece at 104, but it never goes up there. The cool side is 75-77.

I did notice that it doesn’t spend much time basking when I have the temperature on the thermostat set much above 94. It’s pretty active though and occasionally tries to wedge the sliding doors open... is that a sign it’s unhappy with its enclosure? It does it maybe a couple times a day. The humidity is a bit high at 68, I’ve been mixing and letting the layers dry which is lowly bringing it down.

Thank you for any insight!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mb606587
ADMIN
ADMIN

Re: Some temperature verification

Postby mb606587 » Tue May 05, 2020 1:25 pm

Yes those temperatures will work fine. Some people do use higher basking temperatures, myself included, but my skinks also bask more frequently at those temperatures. You're giving your skink different options to thermoregulate, which is a good thing. It will choose where it needs to be and as long as your skink is eating and pooping consistently, I wouldn't worry. The humidity at 68% isn't oppressively high either. Nothing they wouldn't typically encounter throughout the summer in Northern Australia. As for trying to escape the enclosure, how large is the skink and the size of the enclosure? By your description of the sliding door, I'd assume the Exo Terra 36" x 18", which if I'm correct in my assumption, can be on the smaller side for a Northern, which is typically several inches larger than most other skinks.
Menidia
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Menidia » Tue May 05, 2020 1:41 pm

Thanks for the fast reply!

I was seeing people using higher temperatures so I was just a little unsure. I’ve had it set to 98 before and it would only spend the early hours basking before the temperature ramped up fully so I suppose I just have a cool basker.

What does have me questioning a bit is that it will poop maybe 2 days after eating and it has been a bit watery the last two months, though it started after I moved apartments so maybe it’s still settling in? It firms up and takes a perfect shape yet orange color if I add some organic pumpkin to its food. That said it’s eating like a champ!

Sorry I should’ve specified the enclosure, it’s a 60”x24” custom pvc cage. I did start it in a 40B and by 6 months it was going absolutely nuts. It’s behavior now isn’t like that at least, just kind of pushing a couple times a day at the door.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Thu May 14, 2020 8:50 am

They will all look for a means of escape at times, that is perfectly normal. I'm starting to know how they feel with all this quarantine crap. Males especially while in season will constantly try and get out. I have a similar cage for one of my northern girls that I had to put a lock on. I would suggest that anyway as those doors are quite easily opened.
Menidia
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Menidia » Fri May 15, 2020 3:42 am

Thank you Splashy, it does seem like it just tests the doors from time to time, they are definitely flimsier being made out of polycarbonate instead of glass and I think it knows that!

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”