Taming opinions

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Caffee
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Your Facebook name: No facebook! But follow me
@little.bear.garden on insta!

Taming opinions

Postby Caffee » Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:34 pm

Hi everyone! So finally, after 2 years of researching and waiting for the right time- i got my new baby cheerio! (Yes silly name i know, but im a sucker for them). Anyways, ive had them for about week now and ive already noticed a lot of things that are either new or just straight up interesting. Though i feel like my brain is pumped full with knowledge, one thing ive felt kinda sticky on is taming.

I read over some of the taming threads but still kinda feel stuck on how im gonna go about it. So, i wanna hear what you all have done/are doing that you feel is going well or has not gone well.

The breeder i purchased them from suggested starting quickly and doing frequent handling. I wasnt sure how i felt about that so i did wait about 4 days before deciding to take them out the first time. Ive handled them twice in total now and it hasnt been so bad. They huffed twice the first time, but havent huffed since. But after some more reading i feel like i should of waited longer and not have made such a leap so soon.

Alright im done rambling- please! Leave me what yall have tried and how it went!

(Heres a picture of a sleepy buried cheerio for your troubles :wink: )
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN
Your Facebook name: Janella Poch

Re: Taming opinions

Postby Janella » Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:30 pm

It is always best to give them time to settle in. Waiting 4 days was a good start. Some people suggest about 1-2 weeks. You just want to give your skink time to adjust to your home and environment. Keep handling slow and positive. Offer treats while it's in its enclosure to help in trust. Talk to it. All these things will help. When out keep handling to a minimum and then gradually add more time as your pet gets more accustomed to you. Hope that helps.
Caffee
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Your Facebook name: No facebook! But follow me
@little.bear.garden on insta!

Postby Caffee » Tue May 05, 2020 7:58 pm

Janella wrote:It is always best to give them time to settle in. Waiting 4 days was a good start. Some people suggest about 1-2 weeks. You just want to give your skink time to adjust to your home and environment. Keep handling slow and positive. Offer treats while it's in its enclosure to help in trust. Talk to it. All these things will help. When out keep handling to a minimum and then gradually add more time as your pet gets more accustomed to you. Hope that helps.

This is probably just me being too anxious over doing everything right, but is 1-2 times a week, 15 minute sessions enough for the start? I want to handle more, but due to school and my health i cant do it super frequently right now. Also, is it true that BTS’s turn to “lap lizards” once they are adults? Its just a little difficult to handle right now just due to the fact that cheerio wants to see every square inch of my room haha
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN
Your Facebook name: Janella Poch

Postby Janella » Wed May 06, 2020 5:47 pm

Yes, what your doing is fine. Every skink is different as far as their personalities. Some like to be held and others don't. Most in general are good though. Just keep working with yours and it should hopefully be a "lap" lizard in no time.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”