Replaced my skink's substrate, very worried

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Saphron
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Replaced my skink's substrate, very worried

Postby Saphron » Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:35 am

So I cleaned his tank and I didn't realize how damp his replacement substrate was. It didn't feel that wet on the top layer but the cypress mulch underneath is really wet and the thermostat is reporting 99% humidity. I have a northern, so I know he's not supposed to have humidity that high. He definitely was put off from burrowing in it earlier tonight but I think he burrowed in anyway by now and I'm worried this is really bad for him. How bad is this? I don't want him to get sick from an extremely moist enclosure caused by my stupidity.
Last edited by Saphron on Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Re: Replaced my skink's substrate, very worried

Postby splashy07 » Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:37 am

I would take it out and dry it, you could let it dry out or heat it. While you are doing this just put him on paper towels or newspaper for the time being. I've done this many times with no issues. Northerns are very tolerant of many conditions but I wouldn't keep one at 99 percent humidity.
Saphron
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Saphron » Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:13 pm

I've dried out his bedding significantly, but the thermostat is still reporting 99% humidity. Will it take awhile to go down?
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:18 am

What type cage so you have? If screen cover just turn on heat lamp and monitor humidity levels. if front opening type leave heat lamp on and doors open. (Of course keep your skink elsewhere for now) Humidity levels should drop significantly, if not your hygrometer may be inaccurate.
Saphron
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Saphron » Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:44 am

I have a screen top. It's now down to 66% though, so I think things are working out.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”