Page 1 of 1

How to know how much to feed my skink?

Posted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:30 pm
by Moldorm
SO I have an adult (just under a year) Northern Blue Tongue and he is a voracious eater. I give him a serving about the size of his head, if not a little bigger but he still acts hungry after and will push his food bowl around looking for more. I don't want him to get obese but I want to make sure i have the serving size correct! Also he hasn't pooped that I've seen so far and I've had him a little over a week. Thanks!

Re: How to know how much to feed my skink?

Posted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:50 pm
by mb606587
For all of my adults, I give a tablespoon of dog food per week. For the more ravenous ones, I'll add more veggies into the bowl.

Re: How to know how much to feed my skink?

Posted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:20 am
by kingofnobbys
8g food / 100g body weight is the guidance assuming the food density nearly same as water .
based on this guidance from VETAFARM
Image

Re: How to know how much to feed my skink?

Posted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:42 am
by kayla990
Just to add: under a year we offered food daily (similar to what you mentioned, about an amount similar to head size) until ours was around 11 months to which we changed it to once every second day. Now we're offering food once per 3 days (so two days 'off' between). I think people do different routines which work for their own Bluey's :D I don't think there is a one-fits-all approach, but keep observing and seeing how your Bluey reacts and if they are maintaining/gaining a healthy weight.

Re: How to know how much to feed my skink?

Posted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:11 am
by sassyp666
Hi everyone. Have a baby BTS around 2 months old now. He/she seems to be doing well.

Indeed help with the amount to feed. I am feeding daily around the size of his was but it seems he always wants more. I have checked incase it's some sort of aggression towards me. Which doesn't seem to be the case as he only jumps towards either the food spoon or good container to try and bite it. Never if just put my hand in.

When I add a touch more to the food dish he just cobbles it up.

Can you feed them more while they are babies or can it only be the amount equal to their head.

Thanks

Kind Regards
Saskia

Re: How to know how much to feed my skink?

Posted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:56 pm
by Janella
So for the adult skink feeding a TBS amount once to twice a week is fine. If he seems hungry, then feed twice a week and see how things go

For the 2 month old skink...you need to be feeding daily at that age. So one TBS size portion of a well balanced diet. Remember skinks need 50% veggies, 40% a protein source, and 10% fruit. I used to feed my babies a mixture of either snails/egg/veggies/fruit, ground lean turkey/veggies/fruit, dog food/veggies/fruit, cat food, and chicken gizzards/hearts with veggies and fruit. I also offer treats in between to help with bonding. Occasionally I will offer insects. I food process the above mixes, so my skinks never became picky and would only eat the things they like. Good luck and hope this helps.

Re: How to know how much to feed my skink?

Posted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:20 am
by sassyp666
Thank you for your reply, u am feeding daily but he seems to want more than just the correct portion size. Can I feed him more while he's young or just only the correct portion size.

Thanks. :thumbs:

Re: How to know how much to feed my skink?

Posted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:47 am
by splashy07
I have never measured a portion size for babies. For the first 6-8 months they get all they want. Some will brumate while still juveniles and it is important that they have enough reserve, as they do not eat during this time. After 6-8 months they will slow down by themselves, at which time I'll offer smaller portions.

Re: How to know how much to feed my skink?

Posted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:00 am
by sassyp666
Thank you for your response, that helps greatly. :thumbs:

Re: How to know how much to feed my skink?

Posted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:10 am
by Blue600
:D