How to know how much to feed my skink?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Moldorm
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

How to know how much to feed my skink?

Postby Moldorm » Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:30 pm

SO I have an adult (just under a year) Northern Blue Tongue and he is a voracious eater. I give him a serving about the size of his head, if not a little bigger but he still acts hungry after and will push his food bowl around looking for more. I don't want him to get obese but I want to make sure i have the serving size correct! Also he hasn't pooped that I've seen so far and I've had him a little over a week. Thanks!
mb606587
ADMIN
ADMIN

Re: How to know how much to feed my skink?

Postby mb606587 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:50 pm

For all of my adults, I give a tablespoon of dog food per week. For the more ravenous ones, I'll add more veggies into the bowl.
kingofnobbys
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Postby kingofnobbys » Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:20 am

8g food / 100g body weight is the guidance assuming the food density nearly same as water .
based on this guidance from VETAFARM
kayla990
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Postby kayla990 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:42 am

Just to add: under a year we offered food daily (similar to what you mentioned, about an amount similar to head size) until ours was around 11 months to which we changed it to once every second day. Now we're offering food once per 3 days (so two days 'off' between). I think people do different routines which work for their own Bluey's :D I don't think there is a one-fits-all approach, but keep observing and seeing how your Bluey reacts and if they are maintaining/gaining a healthy weight.
- Hons. Degree Animal Management -4 years volunteer in a Zoo -10 years volunteer in animal shelters -Enclosure enthusiast
sassyp666
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby sassyp666 » Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:11 am

Hi everyone. Have a baby BTS around 2 months old now. He/she seems to be doing well.

Indeed help with the amount to feed. I am feeding daily around the size of his was but it seems he always wants more. I have checked incase it's some sort of aggression towards me. Which doesn't seem to be the case as he only jumps towards either the food spoon or good container to try and bite it. Never if just put my hand in.

When I add a touch more to the food dish he just cobbles it up.

Can you feed them more while they are babies or can it only be the amount equal to their head.

Thanks

Kind Regards
Saskia
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN
Your Facebook name: Janella Poch

Postby Janella » Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:56 pm

So for the adult skink feeding a TBS amount once to twice a week is fine. If he seems hungry, then feed twice a week and see how things go

For the 2 month old skink...you need to be feeding daily at that age. So one TBS size portion of a well balanced diet. Remember skinks need 50% veggies, 40% a protein source, and 10% fruit. I used to feed my babies a mixture of either snails/egg/veggies/fruit, ground lean turkey/veggies/fruit, dog food/veggies/fruit, cat food, and chicken gizzards/hearts with veggies and fruit. I also offer treats in between to help with bonding. Occasionally I will offer insects. I food process the above mixes, so my skinks never became picky and would only eat the things they like. Good luck and hope this helps.
sassyp666
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby sassyp666 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:20 am

Thank you for your reply, u am feeding daily but he seems to want more than just the correct portion size. Can I feed him more while he's young or just only the correct portion size.

Thanks. :thumbs:
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:47 am

I have never measured a portion size for babies. For the first 6-8 months they get all they want. Some will brumate while still juveniles and it is important that they have enough reserve, as they do not eat during this time. After 6-8 months they will slow down by themselves, at which time I'll offer smaller portions.
sassyp666
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby sassyp666 » Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:00 am

Thank you for your response, that helps greatly. :thumbs:
Blue600
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Blue600 » Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:10 am

:D

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”