Ground turkey “natural flavorings”

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
SleepySkink
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Ground turkey “natural flavorings”

Postby SleepySkink » Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:57 pm

Hi everyone,

Harley is getting quite large and to save some money I am trying to meal prep. As I end up tossing a lot of old veggies and dog food. I was following a meal guide for April’s Bluey Chow. I know its not perfect, but for the time being I was going to resemble that diet. The challenge is with the turkey. It is good to understand I am a life long vegetarian so I never purchased meat outside pet food ever. I found an organic fresh ground(i was still going to heat it in a pan with water). However, I missed reading the ingredients of “natural flavoring”. I called the manufacturer and they said they can not say what natural flavoring is because it is proprietary rights. Should I give up on this turkey and just use another can of dog food? It is 2 cans of dog food, 8oz of turkey and lots of veggies. It is pretty tough to find good grounds here as we don’t really have a butcher outside grocery stores, I am in Alaska.
kingofnobbys
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Re: Ground turkey “natural flavorings”

Postby kingofnobbys » Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:05 pm

SleepySkink wrote:Hi everyone,

Harley is getting quite large and to save some money I am trying to meal prep. As I end up tossing a lot of old veggies and dog food. I was following a meal guide for April’s Bluey Chow. I know its not perfect, but for the time being I was going to resemble that diet. The challenge is with the turkey. It is good to understand I am a life long vegetarian so I never purchased meat outside pet food ever. I found an organic fresh ground(i was still going to heat it in a pan with water). However, I missed reading the ingredients of “natural flavoring”. I called the manufacturer and they said they can not say what natural flavoring is because it is proprietary rights. Should I give up on this turkey and just use another can of dog food? It is 2 cans of dog food, 8oz of turkey and lots of veggies. It is pretty tough to find good grounds here as we don’t really have a butcher outside grocery stores, I am in Alaska.

In that case you don't know exactly what's in it I'd consign it to the rubbish bin , if in doubt don't use it.

You can easily visit the supermarket deli section and buy 100g of lean raw unseasoned chicken or turkey mince and then just boil it.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”