BTS Toe looks like it has a wart on it

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Jsterner666
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

BTS Toe looks like it has a wart on it

Postby Jsterner666 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:27 am

Hi!
I noticed a little wart looking thing on my BTS's toe a few months ago (pics attached), but I think he could have had it since I got him back in November. I'm pretty sure I pointed this out to the vet when I saw her last month and she didn't seem concerned.
I'm a bit apprehensive to go to the vet because they keep making me go through appointments and treatments that end up treating nothing because he was healthy the whole time, and I've heard they've done this with my friends in the past as well. So I don't really trust them and worry they're just trying to make me come in constantly to get their checks.
Anyway, I came back from a 2 week trip and the wart thing alarmed me because it doesn't look like it's going away. He also had a thing that looked similar on the top of his neck that's new. It could just be a scratch but I don't know enough about skinks to be able to tell the difference and I'd rather be safe than sorry. I know scacle rot is a big deal and want to make sure it's not that.

Also, he ate totally fine for my boyfriend but now that I'm the one feeding him again, he's gotten pickier and won't touch anything other than worms. He used to love dog food and now he won't touch it.

Any help or advice on this would be greatly appreciated!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
splashy07

Re: BTS Toe looks like it has a wart on it

Postby splashy07 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:45 am

Unless I am missing something, I do not see anything of concern in any of the pictures. Your skink appears to be a northern, and they are currently in season here and not eating much of anything at all.
I've got a few males that have not eaten since November. It's breeding season from late January to mid march, and that's all they think about.
kayla990
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Postby kayla990 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:14 am

I didn't realize reptiles could get warts! Out of curiosity, does the skin on the other feet look a similar red/pink between the toes? If so, it shouldn't be too concerning for now :)

After looking at a few sites, it seems for pets the term is Papilloma (at least it looks very similar in some pics, if anyone can correct this please do!). I agree it is very likely on the foot, but it seems more likely to be stuck shed on the neck (but keep an eye on it, just in case).

Just because it's mentioned in a few articles, is the mouth clear of wart-looking structures? For some, it can spread here which may be a reason for the change in diet behaviour (though, seems very possible just being picky as you've said!).

If it doesn't seem the foot is becomming more red/swollen over time - it apparently won't be a big issue. Vets may suggest doing a biopsy, and give antibiotics or antifungal medications. It's recommended to not handle other reptiles/pets without making sure you've washed your hands between, as it can spread from others (similar to people).

Sadly, I can't find info yet as to whether it'll go away after some sheds.. strange!
- Hons. Degree Animal Management -4 years volunteer in a Zoo -10 years volunteer in animal shelters -Enclosure enthusiast
Jsterner666
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Jsterner666 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:26 pm

Ok thank you both so much for the advice!

Splashy07 - good to hear, he's my first reptile so I tend to get worried unnecessarily it seems. And yes, he is a Northern, and definitely seeing the sperm plugs so your theory checks out :P

kayla990 : Yeah, the vet did say that he looked a bit pink, but that he looked consistently pink all over / every time I see her so she says it might just be his coloring.

I'll do some additional research on the fungal treatments for Papilloma - I'm finding mixed reviews of how serious it is but I'll dig deeper.
No sores or anything in or around his mouth, and the rest of him looks healthy. And the foot hasn't been swollen or red and it hasn't seemed to spread to any other toes luckily. Hopefully as you said, it won't be a big issue.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”