Adult skink not eating, losing weight.
Posted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:39 pm
Hi there! Oh boy this is gonna be kind of long. I'm really hoping that it turns out I've been worrying over nothing and we can all laugh at me for wasting a bunch of money and stress on a brumating skink.
So the skink is a 5 year old male Northern.
It all started at the beginning of August, when he went off his food. I'd also started noticing that he was having excess saliva bubbling at the sides of his mouth and his gums seemed very red. So I took him to the vet, and they did a mouth swab and blood test which did not reveal anything, but they put him on antibiotics for around 6 weeks and poof, he was all better! Some time goes by (sorry I have an awful memory) and he starts going off his food again, and I think I'm seeing more saliva, so I take him in to the vet again. They still can't find anything, so they put him on the same antibiotic. This time it doesn't do anything, and the vet tells me that she wouldn't really be concerned about him anymore unless he starts losing a lot of weight. I think, okay. I'm just being paranoid.
He keeps not eating and not eating. I just leave things be because of the time of year and what the vet told me. I'm kicking myself over my bad memory because I can't recall how he acted in previous winters, but I'm really thinking he was never this bad before.
When his weight drops from 812g to "750g" (turns out my scale was bad; he was 780) I decided to make an appointment with a fancier vet, one who teaches exotics medicine at a university veterinary hospital. She takes a mouth swab (negative) and does a blood test that shows something about white blood cell activity, which she says could indicate he's fighting an infection or that it could simply be stress. She puts him on a different antibiotic which does nothing. At his followup appt from that she does another blood test, which has an even higher white blood cell count. He goes on Baytril, which does nothing.
At this point my new, fancier vet decided to retire at the end of February, and I had a mighty sadness. Not really sure what to do now? How much weight loss over winter is a cause for concern? At the beginning of August he weighed 812g, and at this current point in time he is down to 728g. It's been months since he's had a real meal and he's still showing virtually no interest in any sort of food I've tried. Not hardboiled or scrambled eggs, banana, various other fruits, insects, all kinds of dog and cat food, canned snails. He'll pick at the stuff a little bit but that's all.
Here's a few pics of him from today:
https://i.imgur.com/08wCSXT.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/5EsB3xM.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/eTGDooK.jpg
I'd really appreciate any thoughts, especially if it's that he's fine and I'm a huge, overly paranoid dummy.
So the skink is a 5 year old male Northern.
It all started at the beginning of August, when he went off his food. I'd also started noticing that he was having excess saliva bubbling at the sides of his mouth and his gums seemed very red. So I took him to the vet, and they did a mouth swab and blood test which did not reveal anything, but they put him on antibiotics for around 6 weeks and poof, he was all better! Some time goes by (sorry I have an awful memory) and he starts going off his food again, and I think I'm seeing more saliva, so I take him in to the vet again. They still can't find anything, so they put him on the same antibiotic. This time it doesn't do anything, and the vet tells me that she wouldn't really be concerned about him anymore unless he starts losing a lot of weight. I think, okay. I'm just being paranoid.
He keeps not eating and not eating. I just leave things be because of the time of year and what the vet told me. I'm kicking myself over my bad memory because I can't recall how he acted in previous winters, but I'm really thinking he was never this bad before.
When his weight drops from 812g to "750g" (turns out my scale was bad; he was 780) I decided to make an appointment with a fancier vet, one who teaches exotics medicine at a university veterinary hospital. She takes a mouth swab (negative) and does a blood test that shows something about white blood cell activity, which she says could indicate he's fighting an infection or that it could simply be stress. She puts him on a different antibiotic which does nothing. At his followup appt from that she does another blood test, which has an even higher white blood cell count. He goes on Baytril, which does nothing.
At this point my new, fancier vet decided to retire at the end of February, and I had a mighty sadness. Not really sure what to do now? How much weight loss over winter is a cause for concern? At the beginning of August he weighed 812g, and at this current point in time he is down to 728g. It's been months since he's had a real meal and he's still showing virtually no interest in any sort of food I've tried. Not hardboiled or scrambled eggs, banana, various other fruits, insects, all kinds of dog and cat food, canned snails. He'll pick at the stuff a little bit but that's all.
Here's a few pics of him from today:
https://i.imgur.com/08wCSXT.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/5EsB3xM.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/eTGDooK.jpg
I'd really appreciate any thoughts, especially if it's that he's fine and I'm a huge, overly paranoid dummy.