Indonesian BTS enclosure?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Calli79
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Indonesian BTS enclosure?

Postby Calli79 » Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:00 pm

enclosure 3 windows (1).png
First of all thank you for having me. My wife purchased a Indonesian Blue Tongue Skink one month ago and wants me to build her an enclosure. I modeled this in Sketchup and would like to get an opinion since I have never built a reptile enclosure. I plan on lining the bottom 6 inches with glass and sealing the edges with silicone to hold the substrate. The front sliding doors will also be glass. Until today, I was planning on building it out of Cherry but my wife read somewhere that Cherry contains cyanide and may not be suitable for an enclosure. What other type of wood would you recommend? I'm also curious what to seal the higher exposed hardwood/plywood in the enclosure. Something that can handle the humidity requirements of the Indonesian BTS.

Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mb606587
ADMIN
ADMIN

Re: Indonesian BTS enclosure?

Postby mb606587 » Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:51 pm

I've seen plenty of enclosures built of cherry wood. But pretty much any plywood or hard wood will work (maple, oak, birch). You'll want to avoid lumber from coniferous trees such as pine or cedar or anything chemically treated. I personally use Kennel Seal but you could also use any low VOC water based polyurethane as long as you let it air out. Avoid oil based polyurethanes or any sealants with high VOC's. And as you stated, silicone caulk the seams.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”