Basking more

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
User avatar
Suzle87
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Posts: 453
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:51 am
Country: UnitedKingdom
Location: Cheshire

Basking more

Postby Suzle87 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:30 pm

Sorry, yet another query from me.
Vens basking more than usual, a lot more. Basking spot is about 100 warm end 90 cool end 70s.
Is there any reason he would be basking hours longer than normal?
kingofnobbys
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee
Posts: 1220
Joined: Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:17 am
Country: australia
Location: NSW

Re: Basking more

Postby kingofnobbys » Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:22 pm

How old is the UVB coil or tube ?

If it's getting up towards it's replacement date , it's output in UVA & UVB will have dropped by about 2/3 or more ,this will explain longer periods of basking .
User avatar
Suzle87
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Posts: 453
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:51 am
Country: UnitedKingdom
Location: Cheshire

Re: Basking more

Postby Suzle87 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:57 pm

kingofnobbys wrote:How old is the UVB coil or tube ?

If it's getting up towards it's replacement date , it's output in UVA & UVB will have dropped by about 2/3 or more ,this will explain longer periods of basking .


How long do they last generally? I wrote the date when I changed it so will check soon as I get in. Thanks
kingofnobbys
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee
Posts: 1220
Joined: Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:17 am
Country: australia
Location: NSW

Re: Basking more

Postby kingofnobbys » Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:02 pm

Suzle87 wrote:
kingofnobbys wrote:How old is the UVB coil or tube ?

If it's getting up towards it's replacement date , it's output in UVA & UVB will have dropped by about 2/3 or more ,this will explain longer periods of basking .


How long do they last generally? I wrote the date when I changed it so will check soon as I get in. Thanks


Most only 6 months. ( Zoo Med and Exo Terra ).
Dodgy shop branded clones are lucky to last 3 months .

Arcadia T5 tubes are guaranteed good for at least 12 months.
User avatar
Suzle87
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Posts: 453
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:51 am
Country: UnitedKingdom
Location: Cheshire

Re: Basking more

Postby Suzle87 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:42 pm

kingofnobbys wrote:
Suzle87 wrote:
How long do they last generally? I wrote the date when I changed it so will check soon as I get in. Thanks


Most only 6 months. ( Zoo Med and Exo Terra ).
Dodgy shop branded clones are lucky to last 3 months .

Arcadia T5 tubes are guaranteed good for at least 12 months.


Changed it on 9/9/19 so will buy him another but it is an Arcadia t5 so I’d hope it had a little longer in it yet.
User avatar
Suzle87
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Posts: 453
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:51 am
Country: UnitedKingdom
Location: Cheshire

Re: Basking more

Postby Suzle87 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:45 pm

Kingofnobbys can you do me a favour and post the uvb light diagram I remember you posting before, I can’t find it, the uvb light I’ve got atm is 12% and I’m now pondering wether he is basking more if it has weakened slightly if he should maybe have a lower percentage?
kingofnobbys
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee
Posts: 1220
Joined: Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:17 am
Country: australia
Location: NSW

Re: Basking more

Postby kingofnobbys » Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:41 pm

Suzle87 wrote:Kingofnobbys can you do me a favour and post the uvb light diagram I remember you posting before, I can’t find it, the uvb light I’ve got atm is 12% and I’m now pondering wether he is basking more if it has weakened slightly if he should maybe have a lower percentage?

this one ?
Image
User avatar
Suzle87
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Posts: 453
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:51 am
Country: UnitedKingdom
Location: Cheshire

Re: Basking more

Postby Suzle87 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:47 pm

I think that’s the one yeh Thankyou, il get measuring tomorrow and see what’s happening in their currently. What would be an ideal reading for an IJ?
kingofnobbys
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee
Posts: 1220
Joined: Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:17 am
Country: australia
Location: NSW

Re: Basking more

Postby kingofnobbys » Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:57 pm

Suzle87 wrote:I think that’s the one yeh Thankyou, il get measuring tomorrow and see what’s happening in their currently. What would be an ideal reading for an IJ?


No experience with IJs , only with easterns .

Maybe this will help https://tides4fishing.com/as/east-indon ... sure-level

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests